Can you make a template or master outfit that affects all others?

HarrisonMcKenzie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As my wardrobe grows larger and more complicated, I find it increasingly difficult to change or add new details to my avatar. For example, if I want to change my shape or hair cut, or add a new accessory, I have to add it to each and every outfit, which can take a very long time or cause a mix up if I miss an outfit.

I was thinking that it would be great if I could have some sort of base outfit that acts as a master to all others. From there, my clothes outfits are just those items. That way, if i want to make a change to a key feature, I onlt have to edit the base outfit.

But I can't figure out how to do this. All I can do is save an outfit, then manually delete the links to things like the skin and hair, and then right-click and add the outfit to my current outfit. To problem here is clicking replace instead of add replaces the worn outfit, removing all those things like hair, skin, and common HUDs, which is simply going to be a nusance to keep going back and adding outfits and elements that I didn't mean to take off.

Does anyone know a better way to do this to get the desired effect? Or is it a matter of making either complete outfits that are hard to globally change or making those separate and accidentally replacable outfits and just hope I get used to adding instead of replacing?

Thanks

For skins and shapes go in and find the original that the item is linked to. Make a copy of it, and delete the original. That will break the link to the outfits and it will no longer change with the outfit changes. I'm not sure there is an easier way for attachments though, you'll probably just have to go in one by one.

You can make a 'basic' outfit that includes everything you always wear or a few of them if you change things like hair styles etc.  Then just add or remove other things from your clothing folders themselves. 

I have my basic outfit , which is skin, shape, eyes, physics, mesh body, mesh feet, mesh hands, huds etc  I also have an emergency outfit that includes clothes that I can wear fast if needed (like I TP someplace and arrive naked) and I'll sometimes save a complete special occasion outfit, but for just everyday clothes changing I just do it from my clothing folder.  I like to mix and match a lot of things and not in the same combination all the time.  Personally I find saving complete outfits too limiting and they are just one more thing to clog up my inventory. 

A well organized clothing inventory is the key to my method.  For instance I have all my long pants in a subfolder with each pants in a folder too that describes it, such as Ripped blue jeans, gray herringbone trousers etc. I also have subfolders organized this way for shorts, tops, blouses, skirts, casual dresses, formals. etc. Then each of these may also have a folder say for instance mini skirts, long skirts etc.  I sort my jewelry in a subfolder by color and shoes and boots the same way. Even accessories are done this way. 

I can find things very quickly but still mix and match to my hearts content.  I've had people tell me that they never see me in the same thing twice and I must spend a fortune in clothes, but they actually see me wearing any one piece of clothing a lot, it's just what I wear in combination with it that changes.

Thanks for the useful tip. 

I have posted a feature request for a solution to the specific problem that the OP describes.  You can see it here.  Please vote for it.  

I asked that creating links to other outfit folders within outfit folders be enabled, and that tghe contents of the linked folder be allowed to change without breaking the link.  If we could do that, we could have one folder for the basic avatar contining mesh body, mesh hands and feet, shape, skin, etc.  Then, when one component gets iupdated we can just change it in one folder and be done.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3058 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.