Sculpt or Mesh Jewelry

Jeannedellalune Prudhomme

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In terms of Jewelry that's easy: :matte-motes-tongue:

Sculpted Prims Pros: None
Sculpted Prims Cons: Everything

Mesh Pros: Everything
Mesh Cons: None

I don't make Jewelry myself, but I can say that I haven't made anything with sculpted prims since 2010, because they suck big time in every respect. :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Ok, to be honest, there is one thing which could be a pro for sculpts even with smaller models. Mesh does switch to lower levels of detail about 20% earlier (camera to object distance) than sculpted prims. But with Jewelry, which is usually so small that it can't be seen from a few meters away anyway, that shouldn't be an issue. And with Mesh you can make all the Level of Detail models yourself, to achieve the desired look from any distance.

0.02$

Ok, i'll bite:

You can make a sculpts physical size much larger than it's visual representation. Meaning also you can resize it to much smaller, while a mesh physical shape sticks to it's viasual size. So if you make mesh jewelry components, you kinda have to be aware that you might run into size limitation for each component.

But then aqgain, you can add some invisible verts, invisible box around, etc. So in the end it is kinda the same anyways.

Sculpts have no advantage over mesh there.

There are two things sculpts have advantage over mesh still- Large 1 LI shapes, and changing sculpt map through UUID of the sculpt texture.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3060 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.