can i use sl on a i mac?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If memory serves, performance on Mac devices is almost always lower than on equivilent hardware that's running Windows. I don't routinely use Mac's (and would not use them for SL) so I can't state this authoritively.

In addition:-

• Dual core CPU is not awesome.
  • 1.7Ghz is pretty well-aged by now, as will be the i5's bridge.
  • Intel HD 5000 seems like a low-end chip GPU in today's market. Chips are nowhere near as capable as full-sized cards, more prone to early failure.
  • It also seems like the Intel HD 5000 gets ~5-10FPS on modern games. Expect this to be lower in SL.

So...

Can you use SL on a Mac? Yes.

Can you use SL on this Mac? Possibly yes, but slowly and perhaps painfully.

[Source regarding Intel HD 5000]

I try and stick to certainties as much as possible, but it would likely have been advantageous asking a professional for an opinion prior to placing this order for a new PC if Second Life was part of the plan. Second Life's requirements are fairly well understood - it's a very high performance application that will ask as much (or more) from your computer than most high-end 3D games.

It's possible that if your existing machine is far older, that this will still be a step-up for you. I've known people play SL on worse devices.

Er, but importantly:- Graphics chips can't be upgraded because they're soldered to the main board. You might be able to add a new card into an existing expansion slot, if one exists inside the case (I think this is unlikely, but haven't seen every iMac ever). If there's no expansion slot then you're stuck with the 5000 until you buy a new motherboard (which will likely require a whole new machine, since iMac's aren't very hardware compliant).

I hope you like extra salt with your salt, I guess. Mac devices really aren't built like PC's, you can't just swap things in and out and Apple like to rely on standard implementations, which forces standard behaviour.

Good luck!

I'd be happy to be corrected, so if you can post the average FPS that you get (on an empty sim, and a crowded sim too), this would be interesting for me.

Other posters who know more about Mac may still reply with some options for improving performance. Don't give up hope just yet. :)

i sure will! but i still have a chance to cange the order ive been looking at a ASUS compact gaming pc specs are

• Intel™ Core® i7 4790 3.6 GHz processor
  • 1TB hard drive
    • 12GB DDR3 memory
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 2GB graphic memory
  •  
    • would i be better to get this? im really no good with tech :( and this comes with mouse and keyboard but what else would i need? just a monitor right? just put it all together with the wires etc and its all set up? reason for me getting a i mac was because it all came in one together... 

JasmineKnipe wrote:

• Intel™ Core® i7 4790 3.6 GHz processor
  • 1TB hard drive
    • 12GB DDR3 memory
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 2GB graphic memory

This is a substantially better offering.

• 3.6Ghz is more than double the speed of your proposed iMac's processor.
  • i7 is faster and bigger and better and newer than the iMac's i5, and designed for gaming use
  • GTX750 2Gb is a full card, not a chip - this is preferable for upgrades and reasonably capable in SL (up to approx 30-40FPS)
  • 12Gb memory is more than 8Gb memory
  • 1Tb HDD is more than 500Gb HDD
  • It's likely that this is a ITX-sized PC and will have more adequate cooling than the iMac

You would have a better experience with this.

I have no idea what else you'd need, I don't know what you want to do or what you have already.

These are all my non-binding, liability-free opinion, you could endeavour understand more about what you're buying before dropping this kind of money on something you're unsure about. I am just a monkey on the Internet typing junk shortly after my morning glass of Cola. I'm not researching (unless I post source links), this is all just from my faulty memory.

Computers are serious business and no-one here has the capacity to properly understand either your expectations or your capabilities. You're the person assuming all of the risk if what you buy is inadequate.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you're willing to go strictly on people's opinions, you might want to check out SL's system requirements. Looking at those, you'll see that the iMac you ordered (which must be old--no current one fits those specs) doesn't meet minimum CPU requirements. Whatever you buy, use that page to prevent another potentially costly mistake.

BTW, SL runs fine on a Mac if you get one that meets the software's (ridiculous) specs, of at least it did the last time I was in-world. The only rendering problems I saw were directly related to people's trashy builds.

• 2 months later...

Don't bother trying SL on an imac. It's graphics are not up to the task and are NOT upgradable.

I burned up my imac running Firestorm. The GFX card fried on it and it is not easily replaceable.

Get a decent PC and upgrade the graphice card to something that will run it. (probably need to upgrade the power supply too fo rthe card)

• 5 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2943 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.