Can't Select My Object

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3038 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Help!!!!! I've spent hours and hours building on my regions, and now I can't get rid of a huge orb I made to surround a deserted island. I had just finished building the island and wanted a huge orb transparent on the outside and pictured on the inside, so that when you are on the island you can't see anything for miles and miles. I put the orb right on top of my island and expanded it experimentally to 400 meters by 400 meters by 400 meters. When I then tried to select the orb to change it's textures, I couldn't select it or move it or delete it. I'm sick to my stomach. I did not save my build before I added the orb. What's wrong, and what can be done? I will be eternally grateful to anyone who can help me.   In fact, I’ll give you a copy of the island if you can save it.

This is not an uncommon problem. To select an object you need to click on its surface and not too far from the object's center (I can't remember the exact distance). With an object as big as that there will be no point on the surface that is close enough to the center to be clickable. Often you can fix it by switching Limit Select Range off but even then there seems to be a limit to how big an object can be before it becomes non-selectable. (This only applies to objects that are big along all three axises of course.)

One easy solution is log on with Firestorm, get the object listed in Area Search and delete it from there. It is possible you can select it from Area Search too - never tried that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3038 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.