I Chose a Linden Home...Now What?

PlayfulDead

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm a bit confused on the whole home aspect. I can't seem to put anything in it, or really do much though took the opportunity for some privacy to switch up my outfit, but what can you really do in it? Can I still buy land elsewhere and forget about it if I want to? (Though my building skills are severely lacking so I'm not going to be building a mansion anytime soon lol)

of course you can post questions, even very basic ones..... but.... finding things out yourself can be part of the fun too...

nearly everything you can find in the wiki and/or knowledgebase

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/tkb-p/English_KB%40tkb

or start here

http://secondlife.com/whatis/?lang=en

or find one of the hundreds thousends tutorials at youtube (124000 results... might have a solution somewhere )

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=second+life+tutorials

• 2 weeks later...

Usually when you can't place things down on land there are three reasons:

1) The land is on autoreturn and/or grouped and set to a group, and you haven't joined the group so it automatically sends back your items to the Lost & Found folder. That's not likely, however, as Linden Homes aren't grouped to start with and are put in your name.

2) Mesh is acting up and won't let you put things down on it -- VERY common problem in SL. The message you get may go like this "Owner of this land will not let you place objects" -- even if YOU are the owner of that land now. It's just a system error. To get rid of it, first lay down a prim or board -- you can do this by right clicking on the land, selecting "build" and making a wooden block, then put the table or chair on that, then go into edit mode to bring it into place. Or if you find this confusing, take a ready-made board (I can send you one) and lay it down, then put the mesh object.

3) You've already reached the prim or object limit for that parcel. This can happen accidentally if you just put out some high-prim thing, perhaps jewelry or there's something crashed on your parcel, perhaps a motorbike, taking your prims.

You might also just have latency or packet loss or some other issue. So IM me when you log on next and I'd be happy to help. SL is so frustrating, and not only for beginners.

As for the issue of can you "forget" this and buy land elsewhere, you could, but then what is called your "tier" will go up unless you formally release it Tier is a land credit attached to land, So let's say you start with the Premium Account  for $9.95 a month, you are given a 512 land credit. You can opt to use this on a Linden Home, or buy land separately inworld on the mainland. But if you already accepted the Linden Home, it used up your 512, you can't just go on buying land without the credit ladder going up, i.e. to 1024, 2048 etc. and then automatically billing you more money.

So first you'd have to release the Linden Home using the secondlife.com page, then you will free up your 512, and then that can be applied to a purchase of land that size, or contributed to a group to get a rented parcel in a community (I have that system as do others). 

Why are you always so sour, obnoxious and cynical especially to new people? There's no call for this on the forums. No one requires you to accept this "role" you so delight in fulfilling. Whatever your own bitter experiences and cynicism about SL, and we all share some of this, there's no reason to be nasty to people asking questions. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.