How do I make an unencrypted backup of my login credentials for moving between network configs?

Tynach Drascol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Huh?  Unless I am not understanding something, you are making things WAY too complicated.

First of all, you shouldn't use "remember my password" at the login screen in any case...it's very poor security practice.  Anyone coming by your computer can then log in and use your account.

Second, you can use your user name and password to log in from ANY computer that has a Second Life viewer installed.  Certainly you can do so from different computers on your own network.

EDIT:  I repeat:  Don't go to all this friggin' trouble!  Log in on wifi.  If you insist, click "remember my password" at the login screen.  Log out.  Hook up your ethernet connection.  Open SL again.  Your user name and password will be right there, entered on your login screen.

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

Huh?  Unless I am not understanding something, you are making things WAY too complicated.

First of all, you shouldn't use "remember my password" at the login screen in any case...it's very poor security practice.  Anyone coming by your computer can then log in and use your account.

Second, you can use your user name and password to log in from ANY computer that has a Second Life viewer installed.  Certainly you can do so from different computers on your own network.

EDIT:  I repeat:  Don't go to all this friggin' trouble!  Log in on wifi.  If you insist, click "remember my password" at the login screen.  Log out.  Hook up your ethernet connection.  Open SL again.  Your user name and password will be right there, entered on your login screen.

• Like 1

Are you actually seeing an "Unable to decode the file storing your saved login credentials" error when you switch between the 2 connections on the same computer?

Your login credentials are saved in the bin_conf.dat file (which is encrypted)  located in your user_settings folder.

On Firestorm you can get to that folder directly from Preferences -> Network & Files -> Directories -> Open Settings Folder.

Linden Lab can help you recover forgotten passwords.  There is no reason to ever decrypt it or need to move it encrypted to another computer.  That sounds like a way to steal another account's login to me.

You can log in wireless or wired with multiple computers on any network with a dirty internet connection just fine.  There is zero need to circumvent security unless you are trying to circumvent someone else's security.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2654 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.