How do I fit items to my unique avatar? Nothing fits without clipping.

Synarii

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Heyya, I've got a pretty basic question for everyone that's not as new as me. (Just joined like 2 days ago)

I bought a "Sculpted Furry Deer" avatar that looks and functions incredibly well, however the only issue is when I try to clothe him, some almost always clips, or doesn't fit/too wide etc. Editing my character doesn't really yeild the best results, so I have tinkered here and there. I ended up coming across a belt, that I ended up figuring out, that I could 'edit' the item while it was on me! I changed position, stretch etc. Fits on me like a glove. But.. I literally can't modify anything else like that. Shirts/Jackets/Jeans, everything. It doesn't let me change position, and doesn't let me even modify the shape, even though when I look at properties it says that I can modify it. There must be a way to clothe more unique avatars, right? Like is there something I'm missing or overlooked?

Thanks. 

Thanks for the quick responses! And yeah, my avatar skeleton is mostly human, yet the legs are pretty wonky. Human toes stick out further than the deer hooves. In addition to that, the shins are set back further than human legs. It's pretty safe to say fitting jeans are hard to come across. None the less, thanks.

4 answers to this question

Deer wear clothes?

I had no idea.

Oversize mesh wardrobe items may allow you some leeway in clothing your furry...This advise assumes that your deer skeleton is generally the same as a human one with more or less the same protruding parts. The alpha masks included should allow for your furry parts to be covered up where the clothes need to be.

• Like 1

As Ms. Lane says, the alpha mask is probably the best/only way to get your avatar to flt the clothes (which is the correct way to think about it). You erase those parts of your avatar that poke through by wearing the alpha mask. Any alpha mask that comes with clothing probably erases more of the avatar than necessary, just to be safe. The only parts of the avatar not erased are those that are intended to be visible while wearing the clothing item. If your alpha layers don't do the job, you may have to make your own.

And KarenMichelle has apparently never lived in Wisconsin, where we deer dress formally...

• Like 1

Synarii wrote:

It's pretty safe to say fitting jeans are hard to come across. 

And this is why you'll often see these anthropomorphic avatars wearing long shorts or very baggy pants. 

The truth is, that type of avatar thankfully does work with a lot of clothes, but you are more limited than a human avatar due to what you've already noticed - namely, the legs! Sculpt or prim clothing, as long as it is modifiable, can be stretched and moved for a better fit. Mesh clothing cannot. Even mesh that is modifiable cannot not be resized or moved (well, unrigged mesh can, but is not used for most clothing). Modifiable mesh is nice because you can change the texture and/or add scripts, if you choose, but you still can't move it around. 

When it comes to mesh, try demos! Try them on WITH your deer avatar to see if things clip through in weird places or not. For sculpt or prim clothing, just make sure what you buy is mod AND copy (in case of mistakes). You'll probably end up sticking to shorts, for the most part. 

Also, check out clothing made for furry avatars with digitigrade legs - those might fit you better, even if they're not made for YOUR avatar, per se.

• Like 1

Responding to your edit: Every furry avatar uses alphalayers to hide the standart avatar body partly. If you do not wear the layer, things like hands and feet will poke out. Check if your avatar came with such an alpha layer, you might not be wearing it. If there isn't something like that included, your avatar is incredible old.

You then have to get an alpha layer that fits. Usually asking in some furry groups helps with that.

Now to your clothes: No normal clothes will ever fit over your digilegs. They aren't made for that. There are some furry stores that have pants that resemble the shape of those legs, so it looks like you could pull pants over them...but in reality even those aren't worn together with the legs.

With the rest of your modification issues, I can't help. I have no idea which avatar you are using or what keeps you from editing the shape.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.