getting crashed after login and after teleport. please help.

JillianKelly

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3134 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Trust me i have gone through all the answers on similar questions and i have tried everything which has been suggested.

i will explain my problem, as i said when i login i stuck at "connecting to region" (in firestorm viewer) and crash. and in second life viewer i login and avatar wont load up, will remain white cloud, cant move and crash (it says cant load addachments). this continues, after 5 6 attempts i will be able to login and move around normally. And when i teleport somewhere i crash either in two ways i mentioned above.

I have tried all these:

1. removing all attachments and stick to default avatar. (still facing same problem with default avatar)

2. Blocking/disabling firewall completely. (have added sl voice, firestorm and sl viewers to white list of avg firewall)

3. i have tried logging to new region that temperorily solves the problem (able to login with 1 or 2 attempts), upon teleporting crashes again.

4. Installed all available updates on windows 8.1 64 bit.

My laptop configuration:

1.3 ghz quad core i3, 2 gb amd R9 dedicated graphics, 8 gb ram, 1 tb hard disk, 10 mbps broadband connection.

Please help.

2 answers to this question

It sounds to me like a lousy Internet connection.  It doesn't make any difference that you nominally have 10 Mb/sec of bandwidth.  SL rarely uses more than 1 Mb/sec and usually demands much less than that.  The problem is reliability.  You're either losing packets of data or you have irregular spikes of slow data transfer (long ping times) that are preventing your viewer and the LL servers from ever getting in sync long enough to log you in completely.  The fluffy cloud appearance should normally disappear in a second or two as you log in.  When it doesn't (bake fail), it's generally because the servers are having trouble downloading your appearance data -- one of the final steps in the login process.  Until you are fully logged in, it's hard for the servers to track where your viewer thinks your av is.  If you survive more than a minute, the final straw comes when you try to teleport. The system is trying to transfer your av from one set of region servers to another one, and it just doesn't have enough information to do it.  So you crash.

The weakest link is often your router.  First, if you have been using wireless, don't. Many people, especially with the newest equipment, have no trouble at all with wifi, but Linden Lab does not support it. (See https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Wifi-and-satellite-connections/ta-p/1296823 and note that the same thing is true of satellite connections.)  Then, reboot both your router and your modem by unplugging them from the power for a few minutes and then restarting everything.  That step can often clear up a bad connection issue.  If not, try taking your laptop to another location and logging in from its router or, ultimately, try logging in to SL from a completely different computer.  That last step will tell you whether it's the laptop itself that is your problem. 

• Like 4

Your computer is powerful enough, but it sounds like your internet connection has problems.  Just having a fast broadband connection is not always sufficient.  Try the following:

1.  If you are using wifi, try connecting your computer to your router with an ethernet cable instead.

2.  If you are using a wireless internet service (3G or 4G), switch to a DSL or FIOS provider instead.

3.  Turn off your internet modem/router, wait a minute, then turn it back on and let it reboot.  Try logging in again.

4.  If that doesn't work, try switching to the free Google Public DNS servers.  See this link: https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

5.  If that doesn't work, see this link for more things to investigate: http://blog.nalates.net/2011/10/26/troubleshoot-your-sl-connection/

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3134 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.