Calculate weights & fee being skipped.

eseli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3200 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am attempting to upload a mesh which I made. I did upload it perfectly fine to the beta server, and the calculated cost with the settings I used racked up to 667 lindens.

I am now trying to upload it to the proper server (Agni I think, unless I mixed them up). I do have a balance higher than that upload cost, however, when I attempt to upload, using the same settings as in Aditi, and I click 'Calculate weights & fee", instead of giving me a value and letting me choose 'upload' or 'cancel', it jumps straight to uploading without telling me what the cost will be, and returns the error "[name] failed to upload: Insufficient L$ balance to upload".

This is getting really frustrating, because it is telling me that I need more lindens, but completely skipping the part where it is supposed to calculate the lindens that is is supposed to cost me! It won't tell me HOW MANY I need? do I need 1 more linden? do I need 10 more lindens? 100?

This glitch occurred both in Firestorm and the Official LL viewer (most recent version).

OK, so I had a digit wrong, it was 676 lindens, and this doesn't seem so much like a glitch so much as a direct result of not having enough lindens to afford it.

With that said, it is utterly ridiculous that I can't actually calculate the lindens it will cost me if I don't have enough yet. How am I supposed to find out how many I need to save up? how many, at most, I should add to me linden balance? If this is not, in fact a glitch, it definitely needs to be fixed up...

eseli wrote:

If this is not, in fact a glitch, it definitely needs to be fixed up...

It may be a glitch but...

not sure how to put this but the general rule is if a single mesh costs more than 15 L$ to upload, you probably should reconsider how the mesh is put together. It's different if you import multiple meshes in one go of course but even so, the chances that anybody will ever need to buy more than the minimum amount Lindex is willing to handle to cover the charges for a single (reasonably sensible) upload, is so small I think it's safe to ignore it.

I wave along with the others and add an "OMG!"

Likely no one would be able to SEE your mesh when you uploaded it anyway. There are a few sims that I cannot even move in because of "a" a lot of mesh and "b" some not well thought out and WAY too dense mesh.

Even a fairly complex mesh should only be about $14 lindens to upload. Look at the three different costs "server", "download" and "physics" and see which of them is the issue.

NORMALLY the Linden viewer would save your settings from Aditi and would remember when you uploaded on Agni (it might actually do it the other way but I never tried).  I use Firestorm all the time now so I don't see that. I am puzzled that it is happening for you using Firestorm also. I have recently uploaded things on the main grid that I have tested on the beta grid (in Firestorm) and never had that automatic remembering thing happen.

Rethink. Start over. Look at the download cost carefully. And if you used a lot of subsurf modifier clicks -- know they are NOT your friend in SL *wink*.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3200 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.