SL laptop for under $500?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I need a new computer and I'm at a total loss.... My old computer was an MSI gt725, loved it. It was $850.... Well, I just don't have that kind of money but I still need a laptop that can run second life at high or medium so that I can play SL or do my video editing hobby.

What's out there for less than $500? I am willing to replace graphics cards if I need to.

read this and compare what stores offer you:

but running at high graphics is something you can erase on your wishlist with that budget. Not very likely you will find a med or high end graphics in the pricerange. The, less desirable, more recent improved new onboard Intel Graphics won't be in range either

Windows Minimum Requirements Recommended
Internet Connection*: Cable or DSL Cable or DSL
Operating System***: Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8.1
Computer Processor: CPU with SSE2 support, including Intel Pentium 4, Pentium M, Core or Atom, AMD Athlon 64 or later. 2-GHz (Vista) 32-bit (x86) or better
Computer Memory: 1 GB or more 3 GB or more
Screen Resolution: 1024x768 pixels 1024x768 pixels or higher
Graphics Card for Vista
Windows 7 or Windows 8
(requires latest drivers)**:
  • NVIDIA GeForce 6600 or better
  • OR ATI Radeon 9500 or better
  • OR Intel 945 chipset
NVIDIA Graphics cards
9000 Series:
  • 9600, 9800
200 Series:
  • 275 GTX, 295 GTX
ATI Graphics Cards
4000 Series:
  • 4850, 4870, 4890
5000 Series:
  • 5850, 5870, 5970

Mac OS X Minimum Requirements Recommended
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.7 or better the latest release of 10.9
Computer Processor: 1.5 GHz Intel based Mac 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or above
Computer Memory: 1 GB or more 3 GB or more
Graphics Card**:
  • ATI Radeon 9200 and above
  • OR NVIDIA GeForce 2, GeForce 4
  • ATI: 4850, 4870
  • OR NVIDIA: 9800

Linux Minimum Requirements Recommended
Operating System: A reasonably modern 32-bit Linux environment is required. If you are running a 64-bit Linux distribution then you will need its 32-bit compatibility environment installed. A reasonably modern 32-bit Linux environment is required. If you are running a 64-bit Linux distribution then you will need its 32-bit compatibility environment installed.
Computer Processor: 800 MHz Pentium III or Athlon, or better 1.5 GHz or better
Computer Memory: 512MB or more 1 GB or more
Graphics Card:
  • NVIDIA GeForce 6600, or better
  • OR ATI Radeon 8500, 9250, or better
  • ATI: 4850, 4870
  • OR NVIDIA: 9600, 9800

Important Notes

* Second Life is not compatible with dial-up internet, satellite internet, and some wireless internet services.

** Second Life may not run on graphics cards other than the ones listed above. The following cards are NOT compatible with Second Life:

• NVIDIA cards that report as a RIVA TNT or TNT2
  • ATI cards that report as RAGE, RAGE PRO, or RADEON 320M, 340M, 345M, or similar model numbers
  • Intel chipsets less than a 945 including Intel Extreme
  • Cards with the following branding: 3DFX, RIVA, TNT, SiS, S3, S3TC, Savage, Twister, Rage, Kyro, MILENNIA, MATROX

The following cards have not been tested with Second Life, and compatibility is not certain:

• NVIDIA cards that report as Quadro
  • ATI cards that report as RADEON IGP or RADEON XPRESS
  • ATI cards that report as FireGL
  • ATI cards that report as FireMV

*** Installation may require that the latest Microsoft Service Packs for your system be installed.

• 2 weeks later...

You might be able to build a nice desktop for that price. 

I found this by googling for $500 gaming pc. It was written in August so its pretty up to date.

http://pcbuildsonabudget.com/best-gaming-pc-build-under-500-dollars

There are lots of people looking for a $500 and under gaming pc. I would read up on the different builds and then go shopping. Prices are always dropping on the cpus and video cards too. So if you read an article written in January of this year for a $500 build, the current cost might be even cheaper.

To be honest, SL isn't ramping up in graphics quality like game series lthat come out with whole new game engines ever few years. I'm pretty sure a sub $500 PC With enough gaming power to handle SL was built years ago. SL has issues because it serves content from the internet rather than your hard drive and the content is not optimized at all.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.