need viewer MP update that supports Windows XP.I cannot upload to MP or upgrade SL. HELP!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1869 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

XP is dead. All the way dead. There have been so many releases of new Operating Systems by Microsoft and they don't offer support or new drivers. Those users still on XP are taking a bunch of silly risks with their data as it continues to fall behind technologically. You're welcome to feel entitled to demanding programmer-time to cover your ancient PC, but LL have a new platform to develop, and you're just one person.

No support = no reason to produce software for it. Linden Lab don't write code for BBC computers, right?

While I love the idea of someone "should"ing our platform operator, Linden Lab staff don't reply here. We can't change policy, but I can tell you for a fact that LL aren't gonna do anything for XP, for the same reason as no-one's releasing newer and higher density VHS tapes anymore.

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

XP is dead. All the way dead. There have been so many releases of new Operating Systems by Microsoft and they don't offer support or new drivers. Those users still on XP are taking a bunch of silly risks with their data as it continues to fall behind technologically. You're welcome to feel entitled to demanding programmer-time to cover your ancient PC, but LL have a new platform to develop, and you're just one person.

No support = no reason to produce software for it. Linden Lab don't write code for BBC computers, right?

While I love the idea of someone "should"ing our platform operator, Linden Lab staff don't reply here. We can't change policy, but I can tell you for a fact that LL aren't gonna do anything for XP, for the same reason as no-one's releasing newer and higher density VHS tapes anymore.

• Like 1

The last version of the SL Viewer to work on Windows XP was published many months ago. This version is already having issues operating on the GRID.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Release_Notes/Second_Life_Release/3.7.11.291465

No, the new MarketPlace VMM capabilities will never be available in that older version of the Viewer. The Magic Boxes are depreciated and will be discontinued soon. In fact, XP has not been supported by Linden Research for almost a year.

The whole point of LL updating the MP is to eliminate the issues created by supporting Magic Boxes and to offer a more reliable sales and delivery platform. [Note: Magic Boxes have always had issues because they not only have their own Asset Server entries and Inventory contents but they also need to be "online" in the region they are located in and that Region has to be operating perfectly.] The VMM Model is the [immediate] future and should be so much more reliable with it's direct Asset Server to Customer delivery system for all class of products.

So the end game is that you will need to borrow a PC running a modern OS if you want to complete your MP Store's transition to the VMM feature set. This includes abandoning the use of the soon to be deactivated Magic Boxes by importing their contents.

I will add that you should abandon XP as soon as possible.  Most programs (with the possible exception of some games) will run under Windows 7 or higher, if you run them in Windows Compatibility Mode.

XP is dead and unsupported by Microsoft.  It contains security vulnerabilities that will never be patched.

I loved XP too, but I have gone to Windows 7 long, long ago, and never had to look back.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1869 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.