How do you place a prim over the voice dot?

Toxic Menges

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I don't want to hide the voice dot, I want to make it into an accessory ;)

When I attach to any point on my avatar the movement of my ao and the avatar in general causes the prim to move away from the dot - is there a specific thing I need to do to keep the prim in place with the dot?

Odd question I know :)

5 answers to this question

Most animations, even the built in ones offset the horizontal position and rotation of your avatar and this will not work. The voice dot follows your avatars physical position, and not it's visible position.

Only way I can think of is to use an animation which stops your avatar from moving in this way.

Or perhaps instead of an attachment, you could use a follower object rezzed in world.

• Like 2

Dante's idea is pretty good. If you make a sphere about 0.1m in diameter and drop this script in it, you'll have a follower that hovers over your head and covers that pesky dot most of the time.  The dot moves up and down a bit as your av changes position, so it doesn't stay a constant distance above your head.  If you make the sphere big enough, though, it works well enough.

default{    state_entry()    {        vector pos = llGetPos();        llSetStatus(STATUS_PHYSICS, TRUE);        llSleep(0.1);        llMoveToTarget(pos,0.4);        llSensorRepeat("", llGetOwner(), AGENT, 20.0, PI,1.0);    }    sensor(integer total_number)    {        vector pos = llDetectedPos(0);        vector offset =<0,0,1.4>;        pos+=offset;        llMoveToTarget(pos,0.4);         }
no_sensor()
{
llDie(); // Self-destruct if the owner can't be found.
}
 }

ETA:  I should qualify "well enough."  If you fly too fast or if you TP away, you'll leave the follower behind.  I just added a self-destruct mechanism to the script so you won't end up cluttering space with orphaned followers.  :smileyhappy:

• Like 2

Hmm, good question. I know that in Viewer 1 you could remove it while filming, but using the ol'  Control-Alt-F1 thing. 

You might be able to play with the VoiceImageLevel0-6 in your debug settings, perhaps swapping for the UUID of "Default transparent" in you library. 

I loked around at the other debug settings as well, but was unable to find anything that seemed apt. https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Debug_Settings

Let us know how it turns out! :-)

• Like 1

Doesn't the dot move based on cam location, as your nametag does?  That is, if 3 people are looking at you from different distances, they'd see the dot in 3 different places.  If this is true, then what you want to do isn't possible -- though you might be able to get close enough, for your own cam and people nearby.

Of course, the point about the animation is also important: any attached prim will move with the animation, whereas the dot doesn't.

I suspect that unless you make the prim very large, what you're trying to do isn't possible.

That;s true. That's why I put some weasly qualifiers in my post earlier. The prim does have to be fairly large and you can't move around faster than the script's response rate or you'll outrun the thing. Even then, it's not perfect. Still, it's a nice toy and it does draw your eye away from the annoying white dot most of the time.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.