What about a CONTEST for the Sansar Avatars?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Kwak - giving plausible explanations

Here's another plausible one: Ruth was named after Ruth Asawa, who was pretty famous in SF in the design culture ( The SF School Of The Arts was renamed after her) for her wireframe sculpture - go figure.

She was petite and unattractive too.

Alec - to give people food for thought

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

irihapeti wrote:

the point is who named her and what was the motivation for the name. like why that name?? and not another

which you conflating with the fact that she does have a name

that you keep arguing about it dont add anything. I think you arguing with yourself really

Funny, the best description of intelligence I have ever been given is "the ability to argue with yourself".

am not sure why you arguing about the timeline either. Robin Linden said what i said

it was Linden World as a proof of concept. Then they got the money. Then they redesigned for a avatar in the alpha which they made after they got the loot. avatars which LW as a concept never had. Then they renamed it, the alpha, to SL and then went to beta

In that case I will explain. But first of all, I didn't post the Robin Linden part for timeline sake, I quoted him because he calls LindenWorld the alpha stage, so the last thing he does is saying the same as you. Ever wondered why alpha is called alpha? Maybe you confuse "proof of concept" (whatever that is) with alpha, alpha with closed beta and beta with open beta. Alpha is by definition the first stage in software development.

I also quoted him for the Sansara part, which has got nothing to do with Ruth, but caught my eye considering the thread title. Same for the second quote, which is about the avatar and how it is handled by SL. (not explained very well, but she got the idea).

Anyway, the timeline always matters if you want to uncover something, ask any detective. By narrowing the birth date of Ruth (both model and name) to "around 2002", before open beta, we can dismiss the myth that "a lot of residents" thought Ruth looked like some MTV actress and therefor gave her that name. It is more likely that a Linden Lab employee came up with the name. Lindens in the alpha/beta stage were not from the 80's/90's. I'm not sure about their average age at that time, but most Lindens being born in the 70's or even 60's seems likely. Not you typical MTV The Real World audience I'd say.

The only thing I can make of that myth is that maybe some residents heard the name Ruth, then made the connection with MTV. Obviously they didn't consider, just like you and Medhue, what I wrote above.

@Rufferta, you should be able to load Ruth from the library in your inventory. The folder is called Ruth. You might have to enable the library first. Hopefully she's in better shape than your version! She might be a bit dusty...

in the millenium ways of making software, meaning haxxing code off the top your head and bugs are us and are normal. Which is called flash names like agile and sprint and scrum and rad, then not many people know even what a proof of concept is

in the old school way as opposed to the millenium way then:

first there was a proof of concept built. A proof of the design

then when the proof was made then they had something to show to potential investors. Who like to see stuff. Like a model of the sellable product for example. A sample. A proof

then after they go oooh!! I like that !!! and give you some loot then you hire a team and go Alpha

is old school this way. Is some codeys still do this. But only old people. Young people and younghearts they just have awesome !!! like they can sprint and scrum all day and are agile and like totally rad (: and buggy. but oh! well (:

+

Andrew Linden, (Linden No.2 after Philip) helped Philip build the proof (LW). Philip help with the coding and was his concept. Andrew was the main coder guy tho

Robin Linden, (Linden No.3) is a lady. She came in when Philip needed her to keep them focussed on actual finishing the proof. bc dreamer + coder = still in your basement 20 years later (:

Andrew Linden is old school. So is Philip. Is why Philip never has major major problems getting VC money like a lot of others who dream. He is good salesperson as well tho. But defo old school approach. bc he knows that VC investors are even more old school. Being old people. Old people with VC money like to see stuff. When is nothing to look at then they are being asked to buy dreams. And they got plenty of dreams already. Which can get for free. More dreams than they know what to do with already

+

but anyways

is pretty defo that the name Ruth was known on the beta

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Anyway, the timeline always matters if you want to uncover something, ask any detective. By narrowing the birth date of Ruth (both model and name) to "around 2002", before open beta, we can dismiss the myth that "a lot of residents" thought Ruth looked like some MTV actress and therefor gave her that name. It is more likely that a Linden Lab employee came up with the name. Lindens in the alpha/beta stage were not from the 80's/90's. I'm not sure about their average age at that time, but most Lindens being born in the 70's or even 60's seems likely. Not you typical MTV The Real World audience I'd say.

The only thing I can make of that myth is that
maybe
some residents heard the name Ruth, then made the connection with MTV. Obviously they didn't consider, just like you and Medhue, what I wrote above.

Sorry, I typed out the wrong decades. I really did mean to type 70s/80s. When I entered SL for the first time, to me, being in my 30s, it was strange that almost everything in SL was a flashback to my whole pop culture life. As I asked around, it became pretty obvious that the vast majority of people were around the same age as me. I was born in 1972. Imagine a half korean kid with Elvis hair, singing to Elvis, Buddy Holly, the Beach Boys, and the Beatles, from a reel to reel player that my father created in the army.

Now, I have no clue if Ruth came from the MTV Real World series. Maybe this is just my own assumption, but it was something that always stuck in my head. That said, saying that a Linden said this or that, or that it was a codename or whatever, doesn't answer the question of where it came from.

Given that you have given no other plausible answer, I'm not sure why you insist that I am wrong. Granted, It is likely that I am wrong. It's never been that important to me. That said, I used to, very much, be a pop culture addict. Although never talked about much, the Real World series was a huge turning point in pop culture, which started the Reality show craze, and the craze is still pretty strong.

• 2 months later...

Guys, I am an actual human being, not some apostle from the bible who wrote the Gospel of Ruth or whatever.
(Damn, it's been like 10 years since I logged into this **bleep**)
As for Ruth, if my memory serves me right, it's a pun on "root", and that's all there is to it. It wasn't inspired by a real person, not the name, not the body shape or face or whatever. Root, as in the root primitive, the first one of the linked set. Right?

All I could be bothered to write down about SL history is at http://secondlife.wikia.com

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3089 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.