Second Life Account Keeps Crashing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently, whenever I log onto my account, it crashes or stops responding. I tried it on both the default veiwer and firestorm and I keep getting the same result. It's even only on one account because I tried my old one and it worked just fine. When it doesn't crash it runs fine but it's very rare that I can play without it crahsing. It happens when I log into a reigon that has little activity too. I also tried clearing the cache serveral times. I can hardly ever log in too. 

So, it's not the veiwer, connection, or activity in the sim that is causing me to crash. And it's something only on my account. Does anyone have anyway I can fix this? I really don't want to lose my account to this crahsing problem. 

It's not the avatar either. I've tried to log in after removing everything and I still ran into the problem. It seems to be the account itself that it crashing. I just got this error: There was a problem saving the default object permissions: STATUS_EXPIRED. Please try setting the default permissions later.

I don't know what that means or if it has anything to do with the crashing but it only recently started showing up. The crashes have been happening before this error. 

Try In firestorm try recreating your LSL bridge, under, avatar,  avatar health, recreate LSL bridge.  I would all so try from the same menu stop animation & revoke permissions, because your  your getting a permissions error.  All so because of the permissions error I wonder if it has anything to do with experience keys, which I don't know much about,  I think you need a project viewer to try to leave an experience.

shadecity wrote:

I just got this error: There was a problem saving the default object permissions: STATUS_EXPIRED. Please try setting the default permissions later.

I don't know what that means or if it has anything to do with the crashing but it only recently started showing up. The crashes have been happening before this error. 

That warning itself is harmless, its just naggy. It's a side effect of your problem (login timing out) rather then the cause.

See https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-9066

You said you are having problems getting logged in with one account only and the viewer keeps crashing.

What actually happens when the viewer crashes?  Does the viewer just close to desktop or do you get disconnected with a "You have been logged out of Second Life. View IM/Quit" message?

If you are getting disconnected or the viewer just freezes for so long you get disconnected and this happens shortly after login, I suspect it may be a problem with the affected accounts inventory.

There have been a lot of people having login timeouts lately and if they do manage to get logged in, disconnecting soon after login and the cause has been  that they have a really large, flat inventory structure. If your inventory is large and flat, it can take a long time to create inventory views during login and you will time out.

Does the affected account have a much larger inventory then your alts?

It isnt so much the size as such though, it's how your inventory is structured that can cause the problem. If you have thousands of items within a folder or folders without any subfoldering in there, that is a flat inventory structure. The more subfoldering you do within your inventory, the better.

Your viewer logs would show if the login problem was caused by inventory views taking too long to create.

One thing to check the next time you manage to login and remain stable is your Calling Cards folder in inventory. Is your system Calling cards folder still named Calling cards or has it mysteriously been renamed to "All" like in this image? https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/attachment/86876/MGnqq2V.png

Check in your calling cards folder & its subfolders if you have many hundreds of duplicated calling cards. Calling cards are known to sometimes breed to silly numbers and it can cause severe problems getting logged in.

If you have many duplicated calling cards, delete them all a few at a time and empty Trash.  Your cards will be recreated from your friends list the next time you login. If your main problem was duplicated calling cards, that may actually fix your login problem.

If you purge your viewer cache (this can be done from the login screen and then relaunch the viewer), are you always able to get logged in normally that session? If you can always login normally on a clean cache then this strongly hints that it's the inventory views taking too long to create. On a clean inventory cache, inventory view creation will be pretty instant.

Whirly wrote:

"There have been a lot of people having login timeouts lately and if they do manage to get logged in, disconnecting soon after login and the cause has been  that they have a really large, flat inventory structure. If your inventory is large and flat, it can take a long time to create inventory views during login and you will time out.

It isnt so much the size as such though, it's how your inventory is structured that can cause the problem. If you have thousands of items within a folder or folders without any subfoldering in there, that is a flat inventory structure. The more subfoldering you do within your inventory, the better."

Wow, that is the first time I've heard of a large, flat inventory structure causing problems. This is excellent information. I am so glad I structure mine in a way to make it easy to find things (and reducing the 'flatness').  Thanks Whirly.

Whirly, any idea if this is a more recent problem, reason I ask this is because I just check my calling cards and all most every one had a duplicate.  Then going to a much older alt with a larger friends list, I was dreading having to select all the duplicates to delete, but was surprised to find only a few.

• 1 year later...

I have an alt account that also keeps crashing. I can not even get logged in enough to check anything. It will get all the way to where I think I am going to be able to do some thing such as actually get to move my avi or check my friends list but before I can touch anything I crash. I can log in on the SL viewer which I do not like using and I can log all the way in. But I can not in  fire storm

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2818 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.