how many mbs of data can be used on a 4096mm lot?

IvyThorks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3290 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

I am not sure what you mean by mbs in relation to SL.  It  is not a measurement that is used here.

A 4096 lot will hold items that have a total Land Impact of 937. 

If this is not what you are asking please clarify what information you are seekng.

Please do not create a new post if you need to add additional information. Edit your original post instead. You can edit your post to add additional information by logging in to the web site, going to the post you want to edit, then clicking "Options" at the top right of the post and choosing edit.

I have no idea, there is no in world measurement in MBs so I don't think that it would tell you anything useful. More usual is to look at prims per sqm which is also land impact per sqm. Old style prims you just count up, land impact is used for mesh as an approximate equivalent.

There is a table here https://secondlife.com/land/pricing.php.

Huh? That's not how SL works.

You could pack quite a lot of data into 4096m^2 (that's square-meters, I don't know what 'mm' is about).

4096m^2 of land gives you 937 prims to play with. Each prim could be a 9-face mesh with 1024x1024px textures (each weighing approx 1.4Mb) so.... 937 * 9 * 1.4 = ...It doesn't really matter, because as soon as someone walks past wearing a t-shirt with a pretty colour on it, downloading that t-shirt will add to the amount of data you transfer.

Of course, prims (often refered to as Land Impact nowadays) are what matters in terms of filling your land. There's also script time, but this is a lot more variable.

Check out the wiki, below:-

SL Wiki - Land

SL KB - Calculating Land Impact

• Like 1

I will add to the other answers here...

Although "megabytes of data" are not used in the sense you ask, you should avoid putting too much stress on your, and your visitors', internet connections and graphics cards.  Do NOT use high resolution textures for everything!!  You should be able to use 256x256 textures for most things, and almost never more than 512x512.  Using 1024x1024 textures puts an unnecessary burden on the servers, the internet, and your PC.

Same goes for scripts.  Too many breedable animals, too many gaming machines, too many temp rezzers, can really contribute to region lag.  Keep things as simple as possible within the limits of your vision and abilities.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3290 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.