How do I cancel my group rental box without downloading Second Life or logging in? Is this possible?

Fidelity Quintessa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I wondered if this was possible because I do not want to download Second Life.

I recently had a virus on my computer and the technician who dealt with seems a bit suspicious of Second Life, although he admitted that the virus could have come from anywhere.

It cost me a few hundred to get my computer up-and-running again.  

I have a rental box to cancel on a parcel but I am very reluctant now to download Second Life on to my computer in case another virus is introduced.

Is there another way of dealing with this issue? 

2 answers to this question

Second Life does not have viruses!  Your technician is ignorant.  There are only a couple of ways in which you could get malware or a virus from using SL, and all of them are highly unlikely:

• Someone gets malware into a release for the main viewer
  • You use a non-approved third party viewer which contains malware or spyware, either deliberately on the part of the developer, or without his knowledge.
  • You follow a phishing link that someone gives you in local chat or group chat or an IM, and it takes you to a malicious web site.

I have been in SL for eight years, and have NEVER gotten a virus or malware from it, or anything associated with it.

However, if you don't believe me and are still paranoid, don't worry.  Just stay away and let the rent expire.  Renters are not required to give the landlord notice, although it's courteous to do so.  When you are delinquent, he will simply return your items and start looking for another renter.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3282 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.