New to Secondlife

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

AO = Animation Override.

Look at your avatar. Look at how the avatar stands, then walk around and see how they move. Jerky, right? Stilted, awkward. Those are simple default animations, and they're not very good. An Animation Override is, essentially, body language. It chances the way your avatar stands, walks, sits, etc. into something smoother, more attractive, and more suited to your personality. 

Here is a basic male AO, and here is a basic female one. They only have one or two poses apiece, but they'll do to get you started, and they're only $1L. To find your own, you can check on the marketplace - I've filtered to AO's for you already - or shop inworld. I recommend, if you find something on the marketplace you like, you go to the inworld store and try before you buy.

Welcome to SL. Here be dragons.

General Discussion is the best place to get a reply, although often not the reply you want. Frequently you'll be invited (sometimes impolitely) to take your question to the Answers Forum.

I'd politely invite you to do the same, but as I've bothered to reply, I'll throw in a quick answer. An AO is an Animation Overrider, a gadget that replaces the clunky animations basic to SL with more personalised ones. Versions of the gadget are often available free; the animations usually cost money.

BreckStorm wrote:

Hi, I was informed to come here if I have any questions and I do.
So I was told I need an Ao
.. uh whats that and where do I get it?  Thanks.

There's the rub.  You don't *need* an Animation Overrider (AO).  You have the default AO that LL gave to you when you first rezzed.  Admittedly, it may appear jerky and awkward at times but you can use it as long as you like.  Once you've been in SL longer and seen how other avatars move, you might ask one of them where they got their AO.   Eventually, you might construct your own by picking animations you like separately rather than purchasing a package.  Good luck and Welcome to Second Life.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.