Snapping Items together

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm really getting frustrated with this, when I get items to attach to a certain part of my avi and they don't even motion with the attached limb. They just stay static where they are. I know someone had informed me about the Build option and holding shift to select multiple objects and CTRL + L to bind them. However, that doesn't function.

Does anyone have any ideas?

As Venus said, you can't link items while they are attached to you - and you probably shouldn't be trying to anyway.

All that is required is to right-click on the item in inventory that you want to attach to yourself, select 'Add' to make it attach to its default place (if it has one - if not it will go on the right hand) or 'Attach To' and select the correct body part. If you want more than one thing on that place, just do this for each item.

If you have done 'attach to' and it is not moving with the body part, you've either attached it to the wrong body part, or something very weird is going on. For instance, attaching to the spine will not make a wrist watch move with the wrist.

If it still fails, then we need more info on what exactly you are trying to attach and to where.

ETA: The onle exception (although not really) that I can think of is some sort of animated pet or follower that attaches. Even that should show some movement with the body part though.

My first thought is that you're not actually attaching the things to the joints you think. If you select "Wear" or "Add", they're going to go whereever there were last attached. If you select "Attach to >" you'll be presented with all the attachment points, form which you pick the desired one. If you've been doing that, I can't explain why the things are not moving with the point you've attached them to.

As Venus says, you cannot link objects that are already attached to the avatar. Linking/unlinking can only be done on "the ground".

Ahh - you need to detach the ear, rez it on the ground, rez the other parts, then position and link the parts to the ear. Then take it back and wear it.

When you are linking them, make sure to select the ear (if it is - photo isn;t that clear for me) last, that way it is still the root of the whole object.

Also, if it's the whole head and not a detacheable ear, same intsructions apply for the head.

Yep, and make sure you link the ear in last, so it's the root prim. Attachment rotation and offset from the joint are with respect to the root prim. And it's a good idea to make the root prim of a multi prim attachment whichever one is the most critical or most easy for alignment on the avatar. So, in this case you'd rez the ear on the ground, position the jewelry so it looks good, then select (either by shift-clicking or dragging a selection rectangle) all the bits. Once everything is selected, shift click the ear twice. The first time removes it from the linkset, the second time adds it back in, ensuring that it will be the root prim (which is always the last one linked into a set).

Then take the ear back into inventory and "Wear" or "Add" it. It should return to the last worn position. If it doesn't, detach it and "Attach to" the ear position, then use the Build tools to move/rotate it into position.

I've done as I've suggested and the piercings themselves just won't move with the ear.

Starting to think now that maybe they may look  good but they're poorly made in the programming/scripting phase. I've had crappy items before and they've got the basics down which is to attach to the respective limb they're meant to be on and motion with it.

Least the piercings were free. If you want to know what they are so any of you wanna take a shot at it, I'll link them.

I've done exactly what you seem to be trying to do with earrings and furry ears that are animated to twitch etc.

There's no reason it should not work if you are linking them correctly. If the rings are linked to the ear, with the ear as the root prim (because you selected it last before clicking 'Link') then, if the ear is moved, anything linked to it should follow.

The only way I can think of for it not to work is if it is scripted deliberately, deviously and cleverly to fail if it detects parts are linked to it. That will not be the case.

Whether they are well or poorly made and scripted is really irrelevent. If the ear is the root prim, and the script moves the ear, anything linked to it will move with it.

ETA: Hmm... well, there might be one reason. If the ears themselves are made from multiple pieces, and the script animates the linked parts and not the root prim, then that would cause a failure like this. I've not seen that happen though. To find out: Rez the ear (just the ear) on the ground, select and edit it and see if the 'unlink' button can be clicked. If it can then the ear has multiple parts. If not, then it is like all the ears I have; a single part and what I wrote above holds true.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.