Texture stretching even though "Stretch textures" is NOT checked

Ren Float

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've got a 5m x 5m floor and a 128 pixel by 128 pixel texture of four floor tiles I want to place on it (standard SL "Library" folder  texture named "FloorTile18"). Of course, I want the texture to repeat and not stretch to fit - this is why I made sure to UNCHECK the ""Stretch textures" option in the Textures tab.

Unfortunately, this texture is stretching and not repeating - it becomes a 5m x 5m floor with four over-sized tiles. Please tell me what option I've overlooked. I've tried other textures, same problem.

Edit: I just realized that this floor is also a ceiling, so I've selected the "Select face" radio button. I doubt this is a factor in the problem, but I thought I should mention it.

Edit #2 - I'll bet that's the answer. I expected "Stretch textures" to be a toggle between stretch and repeat upon application of texture.

Edit #3 - Sure enough, that's exactly what it was. TY both so much.

3 answers to this question

It sounds like you have your vertical and horizontal repeats each set to 1.0 instead of 2.0. Change them on the Textures tab in your editor and all should be well.  That "stretch textures" button is there to let your textures know whether they should change size if you decide to stretch the prim faces that they are on. If you UNcheck it, then the tetxtures will not change scale as you make the faces bigger or smaller.

• Like 1

What you want is the Texture Repeats boxes.  These determine the "size" of the texture relative to the prim, and therefore how many times the texture will tile.

"Stretch Textures" is a control that only affects the texture when you stretch the size of the prim.  If it is enabled, the texture "sticks" to the prim and stretches along with it.  If it is disabled, the texture size remains fixed and more repeats of it are revealed as you stretch the prim.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 176 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.