can a griefer grief an individual avatar?

IMGypsy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3297 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My SL partner was griefed yesterday - he went over to one of our venues and suddenly saw a message in local and then things from his inventory were attached to him.  Egads!  Is this possible and how did it happen?  He will file a report on Monday but will be get his inventory and himself back to "normal"?

4 answers to this question

Hi Gypsy,

It is not possible for someone else to meddle with inventory, nor to force the attachment of items unless RLV is enabled. And that requires using a third party viewer, as the official one doesn't support RLV.

If your partner is using a third party viewer like Firestorm, he can disable RLV after launching the viewer, but before logging in (and suffering the effects). The Preferences window is available at launch from the Viewer menu, and the RLV control is at the very top of the Firestorm tab of that window. Untick it, log in and remove the unwanted attachments.

It is also possible that this wearing of things is the result of a bug. I've heard of it before, though it may have been fixed, as I haven't heard the complaint lately.

Here's the Firestorm page dealing with that...

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/wearing_entire_inventory

It's applicable to all viewers.

And here's a thread in which this is discussed...

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/Inventory/I-have-accidentally-attached-my-entire-inventory-what-do-I-do/qaq-p/1543449

Good luck, and when he's all cleaned up, have a good laugh over it.

;-).

• Like 2

the funny part is that in local he saw his name and yummy - which to me was very weird. I will tell him what you have said altho he is not an RLV person and may not even know what that is. And will still file a report. Best to be safe then sorry - thanks

It happened, so of course it's possible!  However, as Rolig says, it's NOT possible for this to be the result of enemy action (i.e., a griefer.)  It's just a Second Life bug!  No need to attribute the event to the Forces of Evil.  Except, of course, that some of us are convinced that Linden Lab IS the Forces of Evil...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3297 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.