Items tagged IP REPLACEMENT

Krillion Hax

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Please validate/verify the following info.

I was under the impression that when Linden Labs does a scan of your inventory, the following steps take place:

1.) Scan for infringing IP content

2.) Remove any infringing content and replace with generic items (as given in the wiki)

• Please verify if all replaced items have "IP REPLACEMENT" appended to the end of their name.

3.) Send an accompanying notecard found in the folder or item container and an email to the account holder.

They do not:

1.) Scan for infringing IP content.

2.) Rename content "ItemName IP REPLACEMENT".

3.) Come back at some later date and ban your account if items named "IP REPLACEMENT" are found.

===

(quote taken from LL FAQ)

I received an IP complaint about content that I purchased from another Resident inworld or through Xstreet SL. What should I do?

Most Second Life merchants offer legitimate items for sale, but just as in the real world, it pays to learn about products and those who sell them before you buy. Below are some tips that may help protect you against inadvertently obtaining content that may be infringing.

If you're unhappy with a purchase from another Resident, we recommend that you contact the Resident directly to try to resolve the issue. In our experience, vendors are often willing to cooperate, and try to resolve reasonable complaints. Linden Lab does not generally get involved in transactions between Residents; so you should use caution and judgment when making your purchases.

===

The section "If you are unhappy with..." seems to be a non-sequitur. We are not talking about happiness here. We are talking about legality and ethics. If someone is given "an item" that infringes on someone else's work, there is no recourse except normal steps given. People receiving infringing content are victims as well at this point. If a product is purchased in good faith from another "vendor or resident" and found to be infringing, then reversal of funds should take place.

The comment "Linden Lab does not generally get involved in transactions between Residents" does not seem to ring quite true here. Vendors are residents as well. A little worried that they are a in a "class system" above other residents. In SL, the term "caveat emptor" is still true for all cases, but when a governing entity like SL takes items away and the account info is given, shouldn't they be responsible for recompense from the sellers account?

Thanks

3 answers to this question

I don't believe if you buy stolen merchandise that you are entitled to recompense by the authorities. I do think that you can take it up with the person who sold it to you, but that's what you are saying LL is saying and you don't agree, right?

I agree it seems unfair that you bought something you thought was legit, its not like you went out on the black market or something and it would seem to follow that if LL takes away your stuff they should recompense you for it huh?

I guess that's some legal ramblings some LL or RL lawyers are gonna have to figure out.

I can totally see the logic of your arguement, but sadly I don`t think logic factors in to a lot of situations, both in SL and RL.

If you "innocently" buy a stolen car in RL, the Police will come along and take your car & return it to its proper owner. Your only recourse to get compensated would be to file a claim against the person that sold it you.

A more accurate statement would be ""Linden Lab does not generally get involved in transactions between Residents, other than where they are obliged to do so due to RL laws and/or legal action" (my addition in italics).  When LL get a properly filed DMCA takedown notice, they are obliged to follow particular procedures by law and will remove the infringing content that they can identify.  That's what causes the "IP REPLACEMENT" stuff.

As for the nonsense going around about people being banned over it, it's just a hoax started by malicious evil people who take pleasure in causing drama and distress for others. Treat it with the contempt that it deserves.

The only people likely to get banned are those who actually steal the content in the first place.  LL know that most of the people with infringing copies are also innocent victims.  Additionally, if they were going to ban you for it, they would do it based on the log of people that had the item in the first place, so deleting it after they have removed it would not save you (but that's not happening and is not going to happen, unless you are a copybotter).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4800 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.