Linden Home setting Home question

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3353 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just as Amethyst Jetaime said, you can do it. But FYI, when you do, everyone not in your group list and your neighbors will get ban lines.

Try this: Set it to group, then have your alt set the place to their home location, then change the setting back to non-group public access. Your alt should still have home position set there. That way you can have non-group visitors and your neighbors won't see ban lines.

Markham Weatherwax wrote:

Try this: Set it to group, then have your alt set the place to their home location, then change the setting back to non-group public access. Your alt should still have home position set there. That way you can have non-group visitors and your neighbors won't see ban lines.

good tip

Just as
Amethyst Jetaime
said, you can do it. But FYI, when you do, everyone not in your group list and your neighbors will get ban lines.

No.

Setting a land to group has nothing to do with access, it is just to allow a group to rez or set their home position or any other thing you would want groupmembers to be able to do, depending on their role.

As long as you do not restrict land access to group only, anyone can visit and no banlines show...but non-groupmembers cannot set home or rez etc.

Access restricting is a completely different thing.

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Just as
Amethyst Jetaime
said, you can do it. But FYI, when you do, everyone not in your group list and your neighbors will get ban lines.

No.

Setting a land to group has nothing to do with access, it is just to allow a group to rez or set their home position or any other thing you would want groupmembers to be able to do, depending on their role.

As long as you do not restrict land access to group only, anyone can visit and no banlines show...but non-groupmembers cannot set home or rez etc.

Ah! I stand corrected. Sheesh! I was thinking only of the Allow Group Access option. I had it in my mind to say "please don't check that box!" *chuckle*

I run into it too much that folks have public access and allow group access. That was forefront in my brain. Lesson learned! Don't post when you are tired and have not had any coffee yet.

Thanks for the correction! :)

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Ah! I stand corrected. Sheesh! I was thinking only of the Allow Group Access option. I had it in my mind to say "please don't check that box!" *chuckle*

I run into it too much that folks have public access and allow group access. That was forefront in my brain. Lesson learned! Don't post when you are tired and have not had any coffee yet.

Yeah a LOT of people do that, Public and then Group Acess. I've actually argued with someone who insisted there were no ban lines blocking me from entering their land... as I was bouncing off of said lines...

(It wasn't a long argument, it was more the sort that quickly ended in an "oh... I didn't realize.")

The radio buttons there should be re-organized so that clicking ANY of the options other than just public removes the public one - so that people will know what they have just done.

Ban lines are annoying enough. Its worse that a good many of them are set on accident...

Setting the land to the group, done in the first tab of about land - that is HALF of what is needed to allow alts to set the place as home. You also need to edit the group permissions and make sure whatever role your alts are in has the box checked for:

GroupAllowedAbilities.png

Allow 'Set Home to Here' on group land

Caitlin Tobias wrote:

Just as
Amethyst Jetaime

No.

Thanks for the correction!
:)

your tip was right. It stops people who are not invited from setting Home to your LH. If dont use the group method then have to use the public method and allow anyone to set home for your alt to be able to set home. If can log in two accounts at same time then the public window is quite small. If not  then the window is wider

who is going to bother trying to get in to your lh/parcel/sim in such a small window? griffers

Yes, it certainly does. And thanks for the group setting info too. It was a good detailed response, something we should all try to do all of the time. And I agree 100% with moving those settings together instead on different menu pages.

Now what irihapeti is talking about is about what I suggested in my first reply. Allow group access, have the alt set home position, then uncheck the group access. The alt still has their home position set on your land. No ban lines and no one else in the group can set home to your land/Linden home.

But Caitlin Tobias is completely correct. You've got to set the land to group first otherwise you can't turn on the allow group access setting for any group. If you do that my suggestion dosen't have to be done at all. Set it to group, have your alt set home, then remove the land from group. The Allow Group Access doesn't setting doesn't have to be touched at all.

You don't have to create a new group just to accomplish that. All that is required is you and your alt be in the same existing group. It can be a free access group. It doesn't matter. You set the land to that group, the alt sets home, you remove the land from group so that no other group members can set their home location to your land or Linden House. That is, as long as Pussycat Catnap detailed, the group settings allow users to set home to group land. It's very unlikely, as irihapeti said, that another user will have time to set their home position to your land in that short window you are doing this to allow your alt to set home.

*sips coffee*

Ah. My brain is starting to wake up.

:)

I see that in my temporary absence - yes, Jordan is very nice at this time of year, thank you for asking - people have reverted to using General Discussions instead of the Answers section (or Technical, or Land, or . . . ) as exemplified by this thread.

Ho hum, the Mods are going to be getting fed up with me again, asking for transfer of inappropriate threads from GD to all points of the compass; I would be grateful if others could avoid offering their cut and paste answers here and suggest that more accurate and prompt responses are likely to be offered in more relevant sections of the forums where the charity ladies work.

Thank you for your attention.

the tip given was:

set group to allow group members to set Home. Set parcel to group. Invite alt to group. Alt sets home to parcel. Alt can leave group. Parcel is set to no group. Alt can now go Home to parcel. No ban line

when do this way then is no window for someone else to set to Home like when do non-group/public way

+

altho banlines in the LH Projects are not such a bad thing. Most LH are built up to the parcel boundary. A person moving past can easy go round the houses. Is lots of pathway between the houses

if dont want to see the banlines then can turn off in own viewer. World \ Show \ Banlines

a question is: why would a person object to a neighbours LH banline when can turn off (not see)?

next question: Why would a person object when the person who does cross a LH parcel line is going to be inside the neighbours house, on their tiny porch, or on the roof? Which is the case with LH

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3353 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.