Problem with a SPAM noise attached to my account

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3324 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am currently experiencing a problem with a SPAM noise attached to my account. I have contacted Linden Lab for help but they are classifying it as a Resident to Resident dispute so they have declined to help. I have the Spam Protection box checked.

PROBLEM

Whenever I TP from one Sim to another, I receive a SPAM noise message from this particular resident. But as far as my friends and I have determined that is all it is (just a message). We hear no sound and the sound explorer detects no sound either. So I don't think there is actually a noise being generated.

ACTIONS

I deleted all my Second Life viewer and avatar files and did a clean install of my viewer. (NO CHANGE)

I unchecked the SPAM protection box and no longer received the SPAM noise message (of course) but as I stated earlier, my friends did not detect any noise when I tped in and my own sound explorer did not detect any noise generated. This is unacceptable to me because of all the silly sounds in Second Life.

So, I rechecked the SPAM Protection box and blocked the Russian vampire, The messages stopped but I am concerned that there is still something attached to my account. This was the question I had hoped that Linden Lab could answer but they have chosen to protect the guilty at the expense of the innocent. So much for the "benefits" of being a Premium member. I would simply restart with a new avatar except I cannot afford to lose my inventory.

You say that you are going from sim to sim. That means that it can't be comming from something that is in a sim, the same thing happens between any two sims on the grid.

That suggests that you are carring it with you which means that it must be attached to you. Right click on yourself and select Take Off and then Detach All and see if that removes the sound. If it does then take care when you are re-attaching stuff that you don't put it back on again.

EdmundPendragon wrote:

I am currently experiencing a problem with a SPAM noise attached to my account. I have contacted Linden Lab for help but they are classifying it as a Resident to Resident dispute so they have declined to help. I have the Spam Protection box checked.

PROBLEM

Whenever I TP from one Sim to another, I receive a SPAM noise message from this particular resident. But as far as my friends and I have determined that is all it is (just a message). We hear no sound and the sound explorer detects no sound either. So I don't think there is actually a noise being generated.

ACTIONS

I deleted all my Second Life viewer and avatar files and did a clean install of my viewer. (NO CHANGE)

I unchecked the SPAM protection box and no longer received the SPAM noise message (of course) but as I stated earlier, my friends did not detect any noise when I tped in and my own sound explorer did not detect any noise generated. This is unacceptable to me because of all the silly sounds in Second Life.

So, I rechecked the SPAM Protection box and blocked the Russian vampire, The messages stopped but I am concerned that there is still something attached to my account. This was the question I had hoped that Linden Lab could answer but they have chosen to protect the guilty at the expense of the innocent. So much for the "benefits" of being a Premium member. I would simply restart with a new avatar except I cannot afford to lose my inventory.

Nothing can be attached to your avatar itself without being your granting permission to attach it and your having the ability to see that you're "wearing" it and detach it.

However, it's possible for someone to create an object known as a "follower" that will find you and move with you so that it's so close to you that it seems like it's attached. The "follower" can only follow you within the region that it's deployed in but it can go back to tracking you every time you enter that region.

Do you always get the messages when you go to a specific region? That would be a sign that it's a "follower." It also sounds like something broke it because it doesn't actually make the sound it's trying to make, and in any case blocking it will make it completely impotent. There should be nothing wrong with your account itself and there's no reason to create a new one.

Thanks for the suggestions. The good news is that I went back and forth between many sims (avoiding my rental property) and did not get the message. As soon as I tped into my rental, I got the spam message there and everywhere else I went after that. Tried an area search to see if i could find any object with the individual in question but found none. Hoping when the sim gets restarted on Tuesday or Wednesday, the problem might get fixed.

Thanks, that was a feature I was not aware of. Sadly,  it did not detect anything. It really appears that the only thing that is happening is that the Spam noise message is generated. With the Spam protection turned off, no error message and more importantly no noise is generated. If I turn on the Spam noise protection and block the resident in question, no message is generated. Still think the problem maybe on the Linden Lab server but without their assistance, as long as I keep that resident blocked, I am hoping I will be okay. Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions.

It sounds like you are using Firstorm viewer with spam protection enabled.

When the spam protection blocks sounds that are over the thresholds you set in preferences, you will get a message saying something like " [second Life: AntiSpam: Blocked <username>  for spamming a Sound (100) times in 4 seconds.]"

Check what thresholds you have set under Preferences -> Firestorm -> Protection for "Sounds play requests multiplier" and "Sounds preload requests multiplier" - you may have them set too low. Or.. your neighbour may indeed have a rather spammy sound emitter.

The viewer only displays an "AntiSpam: Blocked" message if the block is new (as long as you are on a version of Firestorm at revision 39974 or later)

If you keep getting an AntiSpam: Blocked message each time you enter your home location, you have either set the thresholds too low, have removed the neightbour from the spam block list or the neighbour is rezzing new sound emitters which are playing sounds above your set thresholds.

LL wont help you with the AntiSpam: Blocked messages - they do not have spam protection in their viewer. Seeing the AntiSpam: Blocked messages also does not mean anything is wrong - you chose to  be notified when the viewer blocks "spam sources" by enabling that feature.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3324 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.