OpenGL message “Request for more GPU memory than is available" message when turning on Shadows?

Bonnii Hendes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I keep getting the message in subject everytime I turn my shadows ont o take picture, I just recently started having this issue I've currently been using CtrlAltStudio Viwer because it runs smoother on my pc but now I'm at a lost to why all of a sudden I can't take pictures with shadows wihtout getting this message?

--------------------------------------------------------------- UPDATE 3/6/2015

Thanks for the replies I thought I could reply to them but I see I can't so I'm going to try and reply to them in this update question I contacted the support department for the viewer but I have yet ot get a reply. I'm now using firestorm and I'm still getting the message as well. Here is some info on my grahpic card as well.

GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 645

DAC Type - Intergrated RAMDAC

CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM_ i5-3330 Cpu @ 3.000GHz

Memory - 8.00 GB Ram (7.90 usable)

Driver Verison 347.52

Operating System - Microsoft Window s8.1

How do I know my max/ capacity with it comes to my graphic card?

3 answers to this question

You will need to contact the support department for the CtrlAltStudio Viewer.

http://ctrlaltstudio.com/viewer

This is an experimental Viewer so they will be the best source of information regarding this issue.

http://ctrlaltstudio.com/viewer/support

The Support Department is only the developer.

If the problem or suggestion is in regard to a CtrlAltStudio Viewer feature, you can contact me directly, raise the issue in the CtrlAltStudio Viewer group in Second Life, report the problem in the Issues Tracker on CodePlex, or raise your suggestion in the Discussions Forum.

My wild guess is that you recently upgraded your AMD/ATI Graphics Drivers. If this is the case then regress them back to the previous version

• Like 1

You didn't tell us anything about your graphics card, but that message is telling you that your card doesn't have enough memory to handle the extra demands you are trying to place on it.  Shadows, Advanced Lighting, and many other graphics features are only available if you have a graphics card that can handle them.  Note also that the CtrlAltStudioViewer itself has added features (Oculus Rift support, etc.) that may require more graphics card power than you have on your machine.

• Like 1

It sounds like you may be trying to exceed the capacity of your system, without knowing the particulars I would suspect your graphics card is not quite up to the task at hand. I would also make sure the driver is current and nothing else is runnign that would use excess memory as well.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.