Hairs... Would you compromise lag for a good hair?

Willow Danube

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Dresden

I don't know what viewer you are using and i really don't want to start the viewers war again (pretty please !!!), but in Phoenix you could have just selected the hairs in edit mode and do a "remove scripts in selection".

If there is a way to do the same thing in Viewer 2, I would be interrested to know how, i try to help everyone when i can but I don't know Viewer 2 enough to help with removing scripts.

I wouldn't even start to imagine selecting each prims one after the others, i am very impressed with your stubborness :smileyhappy:

And yes, no mod hairs are a no go for me either, same for shoes and basically any prim attachement. If you don't want me to be able to modify what i buy from you to fit my needs because you are affraid i could copy it then keep your precious creation I will keep my money.

I wonder if it could be possible to do a script to put in the root prim which would delete scripts in all the child ones ? If one of the script gurus could answer this it could be a really handy thing to have.

Marshall

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

Lots of prims on a sim DO NOT contribute to lag if they're phantom. Textures get transferred from the asset servers, but that _should_ not lag the server, especially not with HTTP texture transfers.

Just to give some information for everyone on how your attachments or inventories are correlating to each other. Here is a link to
about the definition about  Database, Asset Server Cluster and SIM.

But this is what really interest me:

Kelly Linden wrote:

So, resident inventory lives in the (DB) and each item references one or more assets in (ASC). Object inventory lives in (SIM) and each item references one or more assets in (ASC). Items actually in world don't really reference any asset in (ASC) or anything in (DB). Keeping items inside the contents of objects in world and *not* in your inventory reduces the load of (DB) and may help keep your inventory loading faster, depending on how much you do it. It doesn't have any effect on (ASC) load though.

Attachments
are the only case of an item in world that is also in your inventory, and the only case of an item in world that isn't in the sim state saves. That makes them doubly unique, and doubly fun. They also cross region boundaries far more than any other object, which has significant implications

So does it mean that if you have high prim counts with loads of scripts while moving across a different sim will cause a significant issues like unable to teleport, TP'ng too slow, time out and ultimately disconnection from SL while TP'ng, region crossing effect and *gasp* missing hair or a few prims here and there once rezzed into an area where there are avatars?

It may also explains why some textures takes longer to load to for a client's viewer than some because of how the textures are loaded into the system. So I guess the next time I see an avatar without his pants on I shouldn't be quick to judge him as pervert.

Conifer Dada wrote:

At another club there was an avatar with an ARC of over 30,000 but their hair didn't look any more real than mine!

Some people doesn't seem to agree with ARC or its functionality to determine the cause of 'lag' in a sim. I'm going to quote Gwyn again of a tip she got from a friend of her on how ARC can be reduced to 1 for every avatars without telling them to detach any.

Gwyneth wrote:

...she gave me a very simple and obvious tip to get rid of ALL ARC: just check the Avatar Impostors checkbox from Preferences > Graphics and set the slider for Avatar Details at the minimum. Now watch it closely: ALL avatar impostors, no matter how complex their attachment, have an ARC of *1*.

I have not tried this myself but you might want to see if that actually true and if turning it down does improve your experience.

Marshall Burner wrote:

I don't know what viewer you are using and i really don't want to start the viewers war again...

Don't worry Marshall, I have no desire to start viewer bashing myself and I'm sure Dres won't either. But bashing each other does seem to be the theme for as long as I can remember. I mean if it isn't about whose viewer are the greatest it would be whose toenails are the prettiest... you can't get away from it. :smileyvery-happy:

Marshall Burner wrote:

1...but in Phoenix you could have just selected the hairs in edit mode and do a "remove scripts in selection".

2... I wonder if it could be possible to do a script to put in the root prim which would delete scripts in all the child ones

1. I did checked and see if Viewer 2 has that function but I couldn't find it in Edit mode, or in Debug setting. I did however came across a drop down menu under Build > Scripts > Set Scripts to Not Running but this will only apply to multiple scripts in one object but not in multiple objects. Looks like the Devs will have more things to look into, don't you think?

2. I would give you the task to ask those scripters in the Scripters forum. :smileywink:

No need. Void Singer wrote an excellent one. Heres my copy of her code (slightly modified for my own preferences), just drop it into the root prim and follow the instructions:

// Kill script, based on a script from Void Singer// All credit goes to Void Singer// and all blame for bugs to Jenni Darkwatch for messing it up. :)//// How to use:// 1. Rez (or wear) object you want to scrub// 2. Drop this script into the root prim// 3. Follow instructions :)integer gIntChn;KillScripts(){    integer vIntCnt = llGetInventoryNumber( INVENTORY_SCRIPT );//    llOwnerSay((string)vIntCnt+" scripts in link "+(string)llGetLinkNumber());    string vStrInv;    integer i;    for(i=0;i<vIntCnt;i++){        vStrInv=llGetInventoryName( INVENTORY_SCRIPT, i);        if (llGetScriptName()!=vStrInv && vStrInv!=""){            llOwnerSay("Link "+(string)llGetLinkNumber()+": Removed "+vStrInv);            llRemoveInventory(vStrInv);        }    }        llOwnerSay("Link "+(string)llGetLinkNumber()+": Had "+(string)vIntCnt+" scripts, now "+(string)(llGetInventoryNumber( INVENTORY_SCRIPT )-1)+" scripts.");    llRemoveInventory( llGetScriptName() );}default{    state_entry(){        if (2 > llGetLinkNumber()){            integer vIntCnt = llGetNumberOfPrims();            while (1 < vIntCnt){                llGiveInventory( llGetLinkKey( vIntCnt-- ), llGetScriptName() );            }            llOwnerSay( "Take me to Inventory and ReRez me to finish the process." );        }else{            KillScripts();        }    }        on_rez( integer vInt ){        if (2 > llGetLinkNumber()){            llOwnerSay( "Please select this object, then go to the Build menu and 'Set Scripts to Running in Selection' to finish removing the scripts." );            llSetScriptState( llGetScriptName(), FALSE );            llSleep( 2.0 );            KillScripts();        }    }}

• 2 months later...

There are scrubber scripts out there that remove all scripts in any object. They only work in mod objects though. There is one for L$1 on the marketplace, or you can simply use the more comprehensive script for free from here: http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/54/97/331118/1.html

That latter script will also kill bling and such, so beware. Also sent you a scrubber script in-world.

MarleeLagrange wrote:

How do you remove the scripts in order to make the hair and other items less lag inducing? I use viewer 2 and have not been able to find a menu to remove them. Any help would be appriciated.

Most resize scripts have a "delete" option that will go through the item and remove all the child scripts.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4774 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.