Penny Patton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2935 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yeah, I'm going to have a look around and I'll look at Wasabi Pills, see if there's anything that suits.

I was outfitting my alt (actually my unused-until-recently original) and wanted some specific things which I already had on this account. When I checked (and I'm glad I did) I found they are all just ridiculously high DW, so I got stalled. Don't want to waste money.

My hair isn't flexi but it's built entirely from tori, lots and lots of them. No wonder the DW is so high.

My new, and first mesh, body (Niramyth's Aesthetic) is 12,167 bare naked, now. I had already made the hidden prim in the middle blank.Oh, and that's with my system head, not the mesh head.

Out of curiosity from what you said about textures, I put a texture back on that prim. A 512x512 texture raised the DW by 120, and a 1024x1024 raised it by 248. This was consistent; I repeated it several times. I did have to add and remove another attachment to get the hovering text to change its reading though. So it looks like a texture does make some difference Not huge, but it adds up as usual.

Anyway, thanks for the hints on where to look for hair. Time to start making a new shortlist I think.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vulpinus wrote:

My hair isn't flexi but it's built entirely from tori, lots and lots of them. No wonder the DW is so high.

Anyway, thanks for the hints on where to look for hair. Time to start making a new shortlist I think.

OMG yeah...

Torus is for some reason I do not understand - the thing the Lindens say is the most taxing on their servers out of the 'entire list of things that could possibly be rough on the system'.

So they scream about it in every metric they can.

Rez a bunch of them, link them together, and set the linkset to convex hull, then watch the land impact go nuts. :)

And yeah, been making a mental list of good places for hair. Wasabi pills is 90% female hair, but they DO have male hair in the back of the shop.

Interesting note there on textures. I guess the 'default transparancy' and the 'blank texture' are actually higher res textures than I'd have presumed... and were matching what I was replacing.

I'd have presumed each would have been the minimum possible resolution... and not something like a 512x512 texture of... blankness... :)

/shrug.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I'd have presumed each would have been the minimum possible resolution... and not something like a 512x512 texture of... blankness...
:)

/shrug.

In the edit box, when I select blank it says 32x32. I haven't noticed what the default transparent is.

• 1 year later...

Gonna necropost here since the topic is more than timely and the thread is fascinating. Very glad I stumbled across it again while looking for something else. Hopefully it will help those who are putting their avs on a diet.

Re the wee conversation immediately above:

Yes, the default/library transparent texture is 32x32. When I remember, I use an 8x8 I got in an ancient tutorial instead. (Called something like Totally Transparent. Torley created it, so it's probably scattered about the grid.) I will put it in a free box at the landing point of my store, Buccaneer's Restorations. Direct TP via my profile. If you prefer to use search or can't remember how many cc's n's and ee's there are in Buccaneer :matte-motes-smile:, the words "Roman Art" should get a hit on the sim. I'll put a copy at the sim landing point too.

The rest of you can debate whether 8x8 helps enough to bother. :matte-motes-smile: I have Blender brain and need my bed.

Oh duh, I can just link here. http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Firmans%20Haven/144/107/93

Hmm... 8x8. That's 256 bytes vs. 4K.

Interestingly, JPEG2000 gives me a file size of 738 bytes for both sizes when set for compressed maximum quality. With no compression it's only 608 bytes for both sizes. I don't know anything about that format other than SL uses it but clearly it is tiled or something with minimum sizes.

So in terms of server load and bandwidth, both sizes are equivalent. On the GPU I would guess that it's the uncompressed size that gets stored, so the 8x8 is better.

I'm of the mind that every little helps so it's worth a try :)

I've made some bigger savings over the last couple of days though...

...I made my own mesh body hair (chest and arms so far, still working on other areas)) and saved over 20,000 on my ARC compared to the old sculpt hair I was using.

The sculpt hair looks a little better I think (but then, I always thought it was the best body hair on the grid). I'm struggling to get mine not to look like obvious multiple flat planes where it goes into the body. But still, it only shows when zoomed right in and it's a great ARC saving. It'll get better as I play with it. Same principle as making mesh grass planes and the same problems as when I tried that. I guess my brain just doesn't do random orientations very well.

Hmm. Compression. Didn't think of that. The texture sizes page goes down to 8x8, so I figured it was relevant. But this is SL, so we can't count on that. :matte-motes-smile:

Ive been running around in my favourite hippy outfit for weeks now. No idea what my ARC is cause the updated official viewer won't let me log in, but it's so retro it has to be low. I'm not even wearing shoes, let alone fancy feet. Will have to upscale before I can pare down.

Congratulations on making your own body hair. SL is becoming more and more like RL every day. :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2935 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.