Notecard Giver Scritp NOTworking in Second Life viewer 2.5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

MY object is scripted to give a notecard and it worked in the 1.. viwer versions and it does not work now in 2.5. The same is for landmarks too.  Any ideas why?

Something as simple as this does not work

{
    touch_start(integer total_number)
    {
        llGiveInventory(llDetectedKey(0), "KT");//KT - name of notecard and it is in the object inventory
    }
}

As you say, the script itself is fine, so there's no LSL reason why it should not run.  I'm tempted to ask the "Is it plugged in?" question, but I'm sure that you already checked to see that the script is actually set to running.  If I were you, I'd do a set of experiments wih different viewers and on sims running different servers to see if I can nail down conditions under which it fails.  Then file a JIRA with that documentation, if appropriate.

ETA:  BTW, I assume that you have transfer perms on whatever you are trying to give away.  Pretty normal for a notecard, but you never know ....

if it's working in one viewer, but not in v2, then I would suspect that you accidently ignored it by clicking "block" instead of "ignore".... consequently this ignores YOU... so you probably won't see your own chat in the history window....

to fix this, simply open up the mute list (I don't remember where that is in v2 sorry) and remove yourself/your object from the list

Thanks for the replies I think I found the solution

it has to do with the debug settings

In version 2.0 and above  AutoAcceptNewInventory = true. This resuted in me not getting any prompts for accepting notecards and landmarks. I changed this to false and now i get the familiar dialog box.

Rolig Loon wrote:

That's a curious default setting.  I wonder whose bright idea that was? :smileytongue:   I'm glad you figured it out.  Thanks for posting th solution.

It was a partial fix for "inventory loss" caused by accidental declines from vendor offers. The system needs more work, but it is one less way to lose stuff.

Ah... Thanks, Cerise.  That does make sense.  It obviously has a down side too, though. It probably would have been smart to code a halfway solution. Whenever I script a vendor, I always spit out a single line in chat that tells the user what was just transferred and where it went in inventory. It sets the newbie mind (and mine) at ease.  Something like that could have been coded into the viewer: AutoAccept and put up a note so that it's clear that you actually received something. 

the previous "halfway" solution was to add it to inventory, and then trash it if you declined it, except it wasn't being trashed when it was supposed to be....

I agree, there should be SOME confirmation that it's happened.... I thought there was in the chat history window, but it should be in the chat scroll or system messages too

Void Singer wrote:

I agree, there should be SOME confirmation that it's happened.... I thought there was in the chat history window, but it should be in the chat scroll or system messages too

In Viewer 2, it's a toast popup. And, in fact, I wish I could turn some of those off -- but it's good for new people.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4825 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.