better tier system, one last try

Lizard Howl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

man-o-manachevitz!

Do you know what hippo does?

Ok so, take the functionality of hippo, minus the lag and tier boxes.

Thats pretty much what I need.

The one feature I would love to see is an "audit trail."  Both stx and hippo allow "managers" to do various things to the tier box, BUT there is no "audit trail" - they could change the boxes willy nilly and the Estate Owner would never know.

Coming from the standpoint of what stx does/doesnt do, their biggest flaw is they have no tenant "kick" - in other words when someone goes past due they stay past due indefinitely until someone comes in an removes them from the system.

Another flaw is they dont have a weekly/monthly option.  We currently use hippo and give our customers the choice of paying either weekly or monthly from their initial payment.  The only way to do that is for us to have 2 tier boxes rezzed which is cumbersome but works.

I can keep going....

Here's another one. For stx to work the customer HAS TO pay a prim on the land, AFTER they purchase the land.  Hmmm what happens when the customer buys the land then returns the prim without paying? Pesky.  Also, even if the initial transaction goes smoothly, someone still has to contact the customer and let them know where/how to make future tier payments.  It would be way too easy if they could pay tier into the terminal from day one.

Parcel locating.  This is something my current tier collector asked for recently and again it makes too much sense.  When someone pays tier we know what land they are paying for right?  Why not have the slurl for their parcel integrated into the tier system in some way?  So for example, we see that Joe Resident in Parcel 1, Sim 12 is coming due or past due.  Great! Where *is* Parcel 1 on Sim 12?  Time to go hunting!

PayPal integration.  We know it is possible for scripts to communicate with websites.  How difficult would it be to have a tier system that fully integrates with PayPal?  Not only for the initial payment but for any given payment.  This is not a must for me but would be a definite plus.

Thats the short list off the top of my head.

Good luck with that!

Lizard Howl

Segarra Estates Owner

Thank you for that.  You definitely have my attention.

From the other side - as a tenant who is often not able to get online for months at a time - I'd like the ability to rez a prim that will pay you from my spare cash, even if I'm not there to do it.  (In other words, make it easy for people to pay you).

Paypal integration is probably something I wouldn't want to do any time soon, but I'll look at what APIs they offer.

Lizard Howl wrote:

The one feature I would love to see is an "
audit trail
."  Both stx and hippo allow "managers" to do various things to the tier box, BUT there is no "audit trail" - they could change the boxes willy nilly and the Estate Owner would never know.

Coming from the standpoint of what stx does/doesnt do, their biggest flaw is they have no tenant "kick" - in other words when someone goes past due they stay past due indefinitely until someone comes in an removes them from the system.

Another flaw is they dont have a
weekly/monthly
option.  We currently use hippo and give our customers the choice of paying either weekly or monthly from their initial payment.  The only way to do that is for us to have 2 tier boxes rezzed which is cumbersome but works.

I can keep going....

Here's another one.
For stx to work the customer HAS TO pay a prim on the land, AFTER they purchase the land.

Parcel locating.
  Why not have the slurl for their parcel integrated into the tier system in some way? ...

PayPal integration.  We know it is possible for scripts to communicate with websites.  How difficult would it be to have a tier system that fully integrates with PayPal?  Not only for the initial payment but for any given payment.  This is not a must for me but would be a definite plus.

Thats the short list off the top of my head.

Good luck with that!

Lizard Howl

Segarra Estates Owner

Ok, after taking a look at the most current version of STX I realize they have already answered some of my wish list.

They now have it set so the first payment is made at the terminal, this is a huge plus.

Also, the parcel locating is built into the system as well, a very nice feature.

They don't have any option for "monthly" tier but you can set it to accept minimum payments of 28 days or 31 days etc so there is some flexibility there.  The "monthly" option from hippo recently added 32 (?!) days for a one month payment. Not good and here it is a week later and I have yet to get a satisfactory response from them as to why this happened.

At this point in time I could even live without the "box kick" feature but I still can't quite get behind STX.

For one the objects speak broken English which is not very professional and they have no desire to fix this.

For the other they still dont have an audit trail, so their "manager" functions are useless for sales prep.

Come on scripters, is it really *that* hard to make a good tier system? Really?

HELLLLPPPPPPP

My concept of a perfect tier system is one that does not exist. I find that tier seems to be nothing more than another means of obtaining profit for Linden Lab. Land prices are high enough as they are, and tier shall only make things more difficult. I believe everyone should be able to simply buy what land they desire without having to concern themselves with losing it.

If this is not the tier you are refering to however, then my apologies.

You've got the right tier, but the wrong system :-)  We're thinking about the system(s) land-renters can use to COLLECT tier from their tenants.

Unfortunately Lizard, yes - to be good it is that big.  That's why Hippo started charging for support, etc.  The in-world side of things is simple enough (because LSL just can't do that much with any efficiency) but the server-side setup and hosting is something that needs thinking about.

(I'm still thinking but also still fully-occupied with another web-based project.  May start May-ish)

"Ok so, take the functionality of hippo, minus the lag and tier boxes."

I did exhaustive tests on hippo rental sytems and found ZERO lag caused by these units .

I also REMOVED 243 rental boxes from my sim ( 2nd busiest in SL ) and the effect on the lag was ZERO .YES .. UNDETECTABLE ..

The rumour about Hippo and lag was put about by a certain rival maker to sell their product which has fewer scripts but the truth is this has NO effect in REAL terms on lag

99% what you hear about lag is sadly  pure BS which is only posible because most people assume nobody will ever test it to see if it's true ..

Most of lag is simply texture loading by multiple Avs ..it's as simple as that.. more people ...more lag

• 3 months later...

I use the Hippo system mainland. It works well. I use the STX system, lovved it. But since the 'multi user delete function was added. I cannot actually delete anyone. so my defunct tenant accounts and reworked rental signs are stuck on their website. My support ticket was answered with .. 'thanks'.  Anyways if anyone has found or created a way to both create a system to 'de-rez' itself upon rental, list payment cost and days/cost/prims per pay period. Create a land book to list available lands and a website you can work thru for ease of managing. As well as a Tier payment centre that tenants can acess for time left and assorted parcel informations, add me to that list too please.

STX did work well enough for me before the latest updates, never had much call on the manager(s)  using it though.

The one feature I would love to see is an "audit trail."  Both stx and hippo allow "managers" to do various things to the tier box, BUT there is no "audit trail" - they could change the boxes willy nilly and the Estate Owner would never know.

This is amusing to me.  I bought the vending system and never deployed it because I had a discussion with he who must be worshipped by the unworthy.  I pointed out that the ability to have managers who could send any products to anyone with absolutely no audit log made it totally unworkable.

Let me help you with your understanding, now that I have been enlightened by he who must be worshipped.  You are merely a "user" therefore you are confused and have no possible comprehension:-

"This is NOT a technical issue, YOU have a staff trust issue"

There's your fix. For pointing such a glaring lack of business clue out to he who must be worshipped my reward was to have my support tickets cancelled, inability to submit any more and banned from the region.

lol

• 5 months later...

Here's what I want as a RENTER.

Like many, I rent lots of mall spots.  I really don't want to have to keep TP'ing all over SL to pay rent.  I'd happily have a "debit" box where i've granted permissions for it to take money AUDITED OF COURSE and where I can set a checkbox against each rented location as "auto renew".  Apez vending and rental system had this.

Together with this, as a renter, i'd like a web view of my rented locations, time remaining, prims, rate etc.  oh and an API so that I can couple this into my custom vending solution that handles all this and way more than the one I never used because they failed to comprehend auditing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.