Impersonating and Greifing...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have no idea if this falls in this forum, but figured I would ask.

I just recently found out that someone created a new account, but using my Main Avitars name, (created there SL Name the same but slightly sifferent, and then had there Display name as my Main avis name), then they created the profile to literally match my exact same profile, picture and all.

They also went into the club I own, and started greifing staff that were working at the time and VIPs, thankfully there was a manager on who was able to ban them immediately. 

Only thing they didn't do was add picks or RL.

I only just found out about this now, so I want to report it, but not sure what Category it would fall under when you report abuse. 

I was thinking maybe, Indecency > inappropriate name, but not sure.

Never had to deal with this sort of thing before, so wasn't sure exactly what to do.

Any suggestions or help please would be much appreciated.

I believe (don't know for certain but I thought I remembered reading this) that one thing that is actually not allowed is having a Display name that matches an existing avatar's account name. See if you can find out if that's true and if so, double check the profile and AR. Display names can only be changed once per week, if I'm not mistaken, so your griefer's stuck with the one he has for at least a few days while you AR.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I believe (don't know for certain but I thought I remembered reading this) that one thing that is actually not allowed is having a Display name that matches an existing avatar's account name. See if you can find out if that's true and if so, double check the profile and AR.

The TOS, section 4.2 states, "You may not select as your Account Name any name that Linden Lab determines may cause deception or confusion."  I'm pretty sure LL would find that the selection in this instance is definitely deceptive.

Dillon Levenque wrote:

Display names can only be changed once per week, if I'm not mistaken, so your griefer's stuck with the one he has for at least a few days while you AR.

If I'm reading this correctly, "You can change your display name as often as once a week.  In addition, you can always reset it to its default, your username," (from this page... link) it seems as if you can reset it to default at any time.

...Dres

Dillon Levenque wrote:

I believe (don't know for certain but I thought I remembered reading this) that one thing that is actually not allowed is having a Display name that matches an existing avatar's account name. See if you can find out if that's true and if so, double check the profile and AR. Display names can only be changed once per week, if I'm not mistaken, so your griefer's stuck with the one he has for at least a few days while you AR.

There's a Torley video and he gives an example of it being ok to have the same display name as he is using.  I think the problem is intentional impersonation which this case sounds like.

• 4 weeks later...

I am also being a victim of this person. they are claiming that my mother was in a car accident and are asking my customers, friends, and random people for USD money sent to paypal and that they would give 100,000L$ in return. This is the second time I have heard of them doing it this month alone. I've reported it each time now, and so far LL has done nothing that I can see. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3436 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.