The hurdles of product collaboration and sales tracking

Lexbot Sinister

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there! I'm so happy to see there is a merchants forum now, for those that don't offically count as merchants.

There is something i would like to discuss openly, and that is collaboration. Second Life is so strictly aimed at one-man-business, that it gives people that like to put their heads and skills together, very poor tools.

One of the most annoying changes in the new marketplace is that since i'm getting a cut from my partner (i get the higher cut) i don't get any information about who bought my item, and for whom. I can't redeliver any failed purchases. I can't even see the transaction, nor what item that has been bought! Only the sum of money and that the MK2 sent the money. Well not very useful tidbit of information, when i need to help a customer.

Another issue is sharing textures and premade sculpts within a business. That is of course within the ToS of the seller, but when collaborating, that means all costs double. Then it's easier just not to collaborate.

Collaboration is what brings the quality of SL expirience up, since all can do their best, in their own field. it's sad that the most frequent way this is done on each on their own (texture makers make textures alone, then sell them. Sculptors throw wild guesses on what other creators might need. Animators make general animations, instead of specifically product-fitting ones)

The way SL is structured right now doesn't aid collaborative works. How can it be adressed?

Oh, and to add  being the part that gets a cut from the brand/store on the marketplace didn't grant me access to the secret merchants forum. That it's my product being sold means nothing.

Lexbot Sinister wrote:

Hi there! I'm so happy to see there is a merchants forum now, for those that don't offically count as merchants.

Can you please tell me when a merchant gets the "official merchant" status? And what would be the minimum requirements?

Ami

Lexbot Sinister wrote:

There is something i would like to discuss openly, and that is collaboration. Second Life is so strictly aimed at one-man-business, that it gives people that like to put their heads and skills together, very poor tools.

One of the most annoying changes in the new marketplace is that since i'm getting a cut from my partner (i get the higher cut) i don't get any information about who bought my item, and for whom. I can't redeliver any failed purchases. I can't even see the transaction, nor what item that has been bought! Only the sum of money and that the MK2 sent the money. Well not very useful tidbit of information, when i need to help a customer.

We have the same problem at cYo. To keep the brand together on the marketplace we choose to work with just one seller. But my fellow creator needs to know to what items of him have been sold and to who.
Now at the end of every month I download the CSV output, import in to excel, filter out his items, and then send him the reports for his items. It is not the most handy way you can imagen, but thus far the only way my partner can see his own sales figures.

It is about time that the marketplace supports cooperative brands with more then one creator. We need both an overall table of all sales in the business and a table that shows the sales per merchant in the brand.

Amiryu Hosoi wrote:

Lexbot Sinister wrote:

Can you please tell me when a merchant gets the "official merchant" status? And what would be the minimum requirements?

Ami

That would be when they are the head of the brand. Having their items sold under their own name on the marketplace, and qualifying for the merchants roundtable. That is who LL treats as a merchant, the rest get no information, and have no voice.

I think you'll be waiting a long time for what you want, Lexbot. LL hasn't yet produced even a completed basic system for selling stuff; i.e. there has never been a way for a seller to know that an item has been delivered - and there never will be because LL isn't interested in the merchant - they are only interested in them getting a cut from sales. That's why they are intentionally killing inworld stores off, so that all sales will go through the marketplace and LL will get a cut.

I think it is not LL that is killing the inworld stores. LL only provided us with an additional tool to sell our goods. Just like Xstreet was. It is the actual merchants that don't want to pay for an inworld shop and only want to rake in the cash. That is what is killing the inworld stores. I always say; marketplace is an addition to your inworld store and NOT a substitute!

If it would help I would be glad to pay LL a commission for all sales I make inworld.

Ami

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4866 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.