can the SL avatar swing freely, as in a hanging animation?

kain Canare

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

Hi kain,

The hip is body center for avatar translation/rotation with respect to world coordinates. It sounds like your BVH export isn't putting the swinging motion into the hip. So, the only thing you see is joint motion relative to the hips, not hip motion relative to the world.

You've probably read this, but I include it anyway...

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/How_to_create_animations

Good luck!

ETA: Unless your noose is worn as an attachment, it won't swing with the avatar. As Rolig says, animations are all executed in the viewer. The servers (and therefore the physics) know nothing about them. If you do wear the noose as an attachment, so it moves with the avatar, you'll have to make sure the noose is attached to the hips (so it doesn't move with respect to your avatar motion) and you'll have to ensure that the noose is oriented such that it ends at your swing axis. I imagine this will be pretty darn difficult.

I think you'd have better luck just animating the joints of the avatar, then scripting a noose to swing as Rolig suggests. You'd not have to attach the noose, and the motion of the noose becomes decoupled from the avatar animation, making it easier (I think) to set up.

Animations are all executed client-side -- -that is, on your own viewer, not in SL's servers.  There is no physics involved.  However, you can attach your av to something that does move in world. That way your client-side motion will always be relative to a point that keeps being updated in the servers.  If I were doing it, I might script a simple random wiggle into the noose and then put a sit target in it to get the av positioned properly relative to it.  I'd script the noose to activate your anim on sit.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3420 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.