Mesh and lag

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

I am wondering how to check which mesh items are causing me lag. There is something in my home that is causing me and my partner extreme lag. How can I tell which it is? I know the higher the polygon count, the more lag it is likely to cause, but how do I check how many polygons an item has? I have found the "weights of selected" menu, but I'm unsure what those exactly mean and which is likely to effect me. Download, physics, server, display. Will one of these tell me which is likely to be the cause?

I have tried looking in wireframe, but finding it hard to tell polygon counts with that. I know it must be something mesh causing the lag. I have checked scripts and everything else. My lag disappears when I turn my LOD way down or off.

Help please?

Thanks in advance.

Keres Bikcin wrote:

Hi all,

I am wondering how to check which mesh items are causing me lag. There is something in my home that is causing me and my partner extreme lag. How can I tell which it is? I know the higher the polygon count, the more lag it is likely to cause, but how do I check how many polygons an item has? I have found the "weights of selected" menu, but I'm unsure what those exactly mean and which is likely to effect me. Download, physics, server, display. Will one of these tell me which is likely to be the cause?

I have tried looking in wireframe, but finding it hard to tell polygon counts with that. I know it must be something mesh causing the lag. I have checked scripts and everything else. My lag disappears when I turn my LOD way down or off.

Help please?

Thanks in advance.

The display weight is the weight you're looking for. Don't immediately assume its polygons though. Layered alpha textures (folded up objects with transparency) are real lag monsters and they're commonly used in landscaping like grasses and trees.

Well, it's hard to say if it is mesh or not. It could be your cache. If your cache is too small, the system could be redownloading the items over and over, which could be the lag you are seeing. Generally speaking, mesh doesn't really cause lag, unless it is highly scripted, and switching visibility between a number of meshes. I'm sure there is some way to see total polygon counts in your view, but I'm not sure how useful this will be for you. If you look at the wireframe of a mesh, and it is dense, and hard to see through, then that is a very badly designed mesh. Most items made for a game will not have a very dense mesh. There is no need to. Only things like very curvy forms need denser meshes to create that geometry. You can also look at an item's Display Weight. The display weight combines a number of factors, like the mesh density, and textures used to come up with a score. You just need to click the MORE INFO option in the object editor to see the display cost.

prims.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.