Ghosting

Dragons Diesel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4843 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

first off let me say this is really aggravating. So yesterday I log onto sl do my normal every day things well a few hours into the game i crash and im ghosting the rest of the day (had the person reset the sim twice filed a ticket tried logging in to another pretty much everything i know of to do) well i finally have enough and just stay off ..WELL i log in this morning and im still ghosting ..So i download another viewer log on and it works ..I log off to get back on phoenix viewer (my original viewer that i always use) and im stuck AGAIN. Any help would be great (and before its asked no im not wearing anything new i thought about that as well)

10 answers to this question

Go to the login screen and set your start location to "Smith". Then keep trying to login, ignoring the error message each time it comes up.

Your Ghost will refresh approx once every 15 mins & you need to hit that gap to get in.

Once you are in, TP to the last couple of locations that you were at before your last logout/crash & you should be able re-merge with your Ghost.

We do know (sort of) how different Ghostings happen, but there are so many variations of avatars, computers, events etc that it is almost impossible to find a single fix that works for every case.

Some (like yours) seem to be connected to the same bug that makes some people appear as a permanent cloud & those will fix with replacing what you are wearing. Others went crashing through a sim wall with a heavily scripted attachment & just removing that attachment can fix them. Some can find their Ghost standing around inworld waiting to be killed and others never know where they are lurking.

Until today it has always been true that restarting the sim fixes the problem, but now 2 people have said that hasn`t worked for them, so I guess we have yet another anomily in the Ghost problem...We can`t win lol

Peewee.Musytari wrote:

Until today it has always been true that restarting the sim fixes the problem, but now 2 people have said that hasn`t worked for them, so I guess we have yet another anomily in the Ghost problem...We can`t win lol

Restarting a sim is the only surefire way of removing ghosted avatars. When people are saying they have had a sim restarted and they are still ghosted, its because they have had the wrong sim restarted.  Often people believe they must have ghosted at their last known log out location, which is often not the case.

Don't believe everything you read - unless I wrote it

And keep doing what you're doing, Peewee, you are fab.

Dragons Diesel wrote:

Oh the joys of SL ..I was to the point i was ready to just give up but you helped me ..I just kept logging in after logging in till it finally decided to work but again ty

Hi, D,

Your name was familiar to me, so I took a look at your profile. You've ghosted in the past also, a couple or more times.

Maybe you would like to take a look at these current JIRA/bug reports...

If you would like an Avatar Reset Button, to enable you to be able to simply click a button and clear your own ghost, please vote on this issue: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-6602

Maestro Linden is asking for personal accounts of ghosting experiences - please take a look at this and add your own comments: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-6193

The more people who vote on and add comments to these JIRAs, the more chance there is of LL working on either fixing or getting more Support for this issue.

Lichtje Moonsoo wrote:

Greetings, I love to enjoy second life for several years now, but sids I look like a cloud its sad, and I dont know how to fix this problem. Somebody have a solution? 

Wish you all a nice weekend!

Lichtje Moonsoo

Hi Lichtje,

Try the suggestions on http://blogs.secondlife.com/thread/55322

If that doesn`t work you need to start your own thread here (by clicking on the "ask a question" box) as you have posted yours on a thread that is already answered and about a completely different problem.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4843 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.