how to make a recover script an object, or a method of doing this

hulkin

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

2 answers to this question

Hi hulkin,

If you've lost an item in-world, the only way to recover it is to find it, or wait for a potential auto-return. You can find things by going to Build->Pathfinding->Linksets... You'll see a list of all objects on the sim, which you can sort by creator by clicking the top of that column. Find your name and then scan all the objects to find the missing thing. You can then "Take" it or "Teleport me to" it to get close enough to take it.

If you've deleted a thing, look in the Trash. Until you empty the Trash, there's a chance of recovering it. Once you've emptied the Trash, there's nothing you can do to recover the thing, particularly if you're unwilling to contact the creator.

There is no way for a script to do any of the things I've described.

Good luck!

Are you asking about putting a RESET button on a scripted object so that the user can restart a scipt that has frozen?  I'm afraid that's not possible.  If a script has stalled, then it cannot hear a command to reset, by definition.  The only way to reset it is either to

1. Select the object and use Build >>> Scripts >> Reset Scripts  or'

2. Select the object, right click to select EDIT >>> Contents, open the script, and click its Reset button.

Unfortunately, if the user does not have permission to modify the script, neither of those methods work.  The only thng that the user can do is delete the object and rez a new copy from inventory. Almost all scripters distrubute scripts as no-mod to keep people from stealing them or breaking them.  If you are a responsible scripter, you try to write the scripts VERY carefully, anticipating and preventing all of the ways that they are likely to freeze.  No creator likes to get trouble calls from users.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.