Ejected and banned, but not gone

Starchild Magic

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

There's what I believe to be a bot parked on a parcel of mine. Bots have their place, but it's not in my garden! I've ejected and banned it, but it's still showing up on the map and on the mini map. I can't see the avatar, but the green dot is there. What's the deal, is it really gone? What else can I do to get rid of it?

7 answers to this question

Starchild Magic wrote:

There's what I believe to be a bot parked on a parcel of mine. Bots have their place, but it's not in my garden! I've ejected and banned it, but it's still showing up on the map and on the mini map. I can't see the avatar, but the green dot is there. What's the deal, is it really gone? What else can I do to get rid of it?

Hi,

This happens to me too, when I eject and ban someone from our sim..they will be send to the outside of one corner of the sim and hang there in oblivion (on the outside of sim, unable to re-enter). They are not bots though (sometime they keep IMming me) , and the only way to get rid of them is to restart our sim. Or when they finally decide to TP away themselves.

Caitlin.Tobias wrote:

Hi,

This happens to me too, when I eject and ban someone from our sim..they will be send to the outside of one corner of the sim and hang there in oblivion (on the outside of sim, unable to re-enter). They are not bots though (sometime they keep IMming me) , and the only way to get rid of them is to restart our sim. Or when they finally decide to TP away themselves.

Ejecting this one hasn't budged it. Neither has banning it. It's in the same place it was when I found it. I've IMed it - no response. I've tried pushing it to the edge of the property - it won't move. For kicks and giggles, I even tried to blow it off my land with C4 - big boom, but that's it. And it's a mainland sim, so rebooting would have to go through Linden Labs.

I've IMed the owner of the group the bot belongs to and asked her to have someone remove it. She's offline, but she looked like a nice enough person, guess I'll see what happens.

Hello Starchild.

It sounds to me like you have "ghost" avatar on your land. What I mean by that is a person logged out or crashed but the servers never logged the person out successfully. The servers are supposed to log you out every 15 minutes if that happens, but sometimes that process fails. Back in the day I logged on to some nasty IMs. Someone was asking me to leave their land and eventually saying they were banning me. I IMed them back and told them I had spent the last 3 days building on my own land. Come to find out, a few days earlier, when I was flying and crossed a sim line and crashed, it left a ghosted version of my av on her land. Odd thing was, I was able to log on with no trouble. Typically the person is not able to log in if that happens. Right now, it seems ghosting is a major problem, probably due to a recent server software update. I've had to assist a friend of mine 4 times in the last few days getting her avie unghosted. As for not being able to see the av, have you looked underground? I've seen ghosted avies underground before. A sim restart will fix the problem. If it's private land and you could contact the sim owner to restart the sim, you would probably be doing the person that's stuck there a big favor because it's likely they can't log on. Hope that answers your question. =)

"I didn't think of it being a ghosted avatar."

That's a glitch that will resolve itself in time.  I've banned avs from the sim and 9 times out of 10 things go as expected; however once in a blue moon a phantom image of that avatar remains exactly where they were pre-ban as if this was Ghost Hunters, or the avi will be gone but they're still on my radar , etc.  I'm not sure what cured the problem, the avatar relogging, the sim restarting, but i do know they were really gone despite impressions and they totally disappear given time.

It's pretty freaky when you ban someone, only to have their ghost remain... we strung christmas lights and tinsel on the last phantom av.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4926 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.