Mesh starter avatar issue

emeraldview

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3512 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm still assisting this newer player I mentionned in a previous question. I know with full body mesh avatars one must apply a texture to the mesh to achive a similar result to an alpha layer. Are there any methods for doing this with the starter avatars? My friend is on a budget and purchasing a shape of similar quality to the starter mesh is more than she can handle at this point in time.

2 answers to this question

To apply a texture to a mesh of any kind, you have to draw it to match the UV map that the mesh's creator produced when making the mesh.  The UV map for the "standard" avatar used to be all we had, and it's all over the place. Any other mesh av will have its own UV map, and the only textures you can apply will be textures designed for it.  That's true whether you are dealing with one of the new avatars provided by LL or whether it's one you bought somewhere in SL.  So..... you can't just drop textures from some other av on yours.  If you can't find clothes that you like, you have to either find the UV map (if it's available) and make your own or use a different avatar that has a nicer wardrobe.

• Like 3

emerald...to shorten Rolig's excellent and detailed answer, in a word...no.

The mesh starter avatars are horrid, both in appearance and in the fact that they aren't editable.  Encourage your friend to switch to one of the "classic" avatars that use the regular avatar shape.  They can be adjusted with the Appearance sliders, and wear any skin and any type of clothing.

Once she is fully conversant with SL, there will be plenty of time for her to decide whether or not to invest in a full mesh avatar body.  However, be sure to tell her that the advantages these provide are (in the opinion of many) not worth the price or putting up with their complexities and drawbacks.  The standard avatar can, with proper editing and choice of skin, hair, and clothing, look extremely beautiful.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3512 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.