Viewer2- what happened to "appearance" mode ?

Maya Paris

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Can anyone point me to a tutorial before i go bald? I've just been using Viewer2 to try make an alpha clothing layer for a new art installation. Watched Torley's video before i went in - http://vodpod.com/watch/3372389-april-fools-make-your-avatar-invisible-with-alpha-masks . It looked  simple until i logged in, right clicked my avatar as suggested..and found no "appearance" tab in the choices available. ( it's not there under the "me" tab in the top toolbar either) Is this video out of date already? I did eventually get something made after a lot of farting around in the Clothing tab on the right of the screen with help from L1Aura Loire but blimey...what a pain. So does anyone know if the standard access to appearance by right clicking the avatar is gone for good? I'm off to ungrit my teeth and get back to content-maker-friendly 1.23 and Imprudence. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help here.

9 answers to this question

You have to select the item you want to edit from the list...pretty sure anyway, the last time I did it was on the beta grid on the mesh viewer since I'm forced to use a version viewer 2  there.  Once you finish editing save then look to the top left of the side bar appearance editor  for two arrows like this << that will get you out of edit mode.    I own a clothing shop and yeah the new appearance editor is confusing and I hate it.

• Like 1

Thanks Jennifur, i was thinking that this new process must drive clothing makers nuts as i muddled around looking for something that allowed me to make NEW clothing or alpha layers rather than edit ones that already exist. I never found it and had to rely on a friend giving me an alpha layer to edit. Do you know if there's anything that allows you to make new clothing/skins etc rather than starting from something you already have?

Ah, yay for discoverability issues. Not.

Here's one way to do it now:

1. Open the Inventory (Ctrl-i for sidebar tab or Ctrl-Shift-i for free floater)
  2. At the lower edge of the Inventory, locate and click the "Add new item" menu that is indicated by a plus ("+") icon.
  3. Choose the appropriate item type from the New Body Parts or New Clothes submenus.

It's also possible from the "Appearance" sidebar tab:

1. Right-click yourself and choose Edit My Outfit
    from the context menu
  2. At the lower edge of the panel, click the gear menu
  3. Choose the appropriate item type from the New Body Parts or New Clothes submenus.

This method has the advantage, that the newly created wearable will instantly be worn and the panel for editing it is opened. If you create the items from the inventory panel instead, you'll have to wear and edit them manually, first.

And now for the very confusing and unintuitive method I found first when looking how to do it from "Appearance" instead of "Inventory":

1. Right-click yourself and choose Edit My Outfit from the context menu
  2. click the Add More... button
    • So far, so intuitive ... but now ...
  3. Right-click an existing item of the wanted wearable type (use the filter next to the Add More... button if you want)
  4. Choose Create new <wearable> from the context menu

RRRRRiiiiiight!

err ... if you're looking for something, to as Torley says and right-click everything in sight, I mean.

I know your problem was already solved, I just want to remember something:

If you use an existent item as a base to create a new and "save as" with another name, as you did for the first time using the alpha your friend sent to you, the CREATOR of the piece will be the original creator of it, and not you! So, it's very important to always create a new item, unless the existing one was also created originally by you.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4904 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.