I am a new resident, but I cannot teleport to any other sims. What do I do?

Harlequin Thistle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have just joined Second Life under this account. My friends can't message or add me. I can not teleport away from the Cal State Northridge sim. It keeps saying that I have to log out to teleport (and I have) and that if the problem consists, I should message Second Life Support.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong?

3 answers to this question

If you just joined Second Life but are using an account with a legacy name (first name, last name), then that account wasn't originally yours.  Since it's a TOS violation (TOS, Sect. 4.1) to sell or give your account to someone else without prior written permission from Linden Lab, they may have partially disabled the account.  Or, the account may have been a restricted account, for use only by a minor under the age of 16 who was not allowed to leave that region (See https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Teens_in_Second_Life).  Or there could be a problem with the region's servers.  Hence the suggestion to log oout and then log in to a different region.  Try a nice, quiet one like Smith or Pooley. 

• Like 1

Have you EVER been to any regions besides your university's?  For example, when you first log in with a new regular account, you find yourself on "Learning Island," and when you finish exploring there, you use a portal door to teleport to "Social Island."

If you did not experience this sequence, it's possible that your university account is limited to the one university region.  Ask your instructor(s) about this.  If that is the problem, the solution is simple:  make another Second Life account by going to the Second Life web page and following the "sign up" process.*

If that is not the problem, then see here:  http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_tp_fail

If none of the solutions suggested there seem to help, go to Help/Support/Create a Support Case on this website.

*Note that many university campuses block access to Second Life (other than for approved class activities) due to their desire to a) preserve network resources for actual university activities and b) insure that you spend at least some time studying, instead of playing on the Internet.  You may need to move out of the dorms and get your own ISP account.

EDIT:  Rolig makes an important point.  Names of the form Firstname Lastname date back to accounts created two years ago or more.  You should not be using someone else's account, and if this practice is sanctioned by your university or your professor, you should inform them that it is NOT allowed and could get them, and you, in more than just technical difficulties.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.