Hosting my own region.

Caroline Tairov

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Okay so I would like to buy my own region (a private island not mainland), but I cannot afford the 300 monthly right away. I have been looking all over but I cannot find clear information about this so I just decided to ask here.

I have my own server so is it possible to host my own region on my server? And if so would i still have to pay LL the same amount? If you know anything about this please explain it to me!

4 answers to this question

Hi Caroline, there is no way to host your own sim and completely connect it to Second Life. You can host your own OpenSim regions and add them to other grids but your Second Life inventory and groups and friends will not be attached. There are clients that can switch from grid to grid so that it looks like a teleport but your avatar's stuff cannot cross in and out of SL that way. LL has a very expensive Enterprise server on sale but that is independent of the public grid too.

Can someone from SecondLife Land answer these questions. I actually have DataCenter space with the following specs to my rack and would love to host my own lands. I have the following server and specs could this qualify?

- 20Mbps burstable to 1Gbps 

- Full Fiber backbone 

- Dell PowerEdge 2950 w/ Dual Quad-Core 2.66Ghz., 32GB ram, RAID1 w/ dual 2TB storage at 64MB cache.

- Can run either Windows, Linux or Unix OS's 

- Has access to secure VPN tunneling and fw's. 

Thank you,

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.