Why Creators use NO MOD on their scripted items??

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Qie Niangao wrote:

A more sophisticated way to do this is to embed the UUIDs in the retexturing script itself, custom-generated for each product. That's how I'd do it myself, so the creator just copies the generated text as their own script. Even this, however, has a vulnerability: the script can be used to put those textures on other objects

This is what I do and then I encrypt it but that was more for entertainment than any security for three reasons:-

• A texture for my item isn't going to look any good on anything else, the shading won't match, the UV map won't work.
  • Texture UUID's are trivial to read from the disk cache, regardless of ANY inworld or web encryption/HUD schemes.
  • I include shading and UV maps in the product for people to make their own textures.

The second one is the killer really and as you say Qie, the viewer knows the UUID too, so those viewers which show UUID (of which LL's was one until fairly recently) make it all rather a joke.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont think you understand what put every posible color combination in every size would mean.
Say you have a regular mesh dress just a dress with no accesories belts or whatever. With an average material number of 4, in 5 standard sizes plus fitmesh. I offer around 30 textures in every pack. The scripts allows costumers to choose what parts they change so they can mix textures and such. This will mean i would have to make all the possible combinations (more than a thousen) and then multiply that by 6 ( each size) and then put those thousens dresses inside a box. I dont think thats a posibility really. The other option is to just, like i did in the past offer one single color per box. I think that is more restraining than to add a script and make it no mod. Plus i dont think its totally fair to just charge full price for a hue change of a texture. To be fair, the script does work, and does what its supposed to, that is change textures. I just think it will be better if it had a delete me option whitin it. Also, about new users, a box with a gazillion option dresses is far more complicated to use than just 5 sizes and some buttons. I dont think merchants should be pointed out on every problem of sl, we are not forcing products on people. I think users should know that they cant put everything is out there at one time and expect not to lag. I agree, that the kill me button should be there, i dont agree that the scripts should be not used untill they are perfect.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not need all that options, Like I said, put in the items with different textures, and for the ppl who really want that specific color.... put in one with the "not working script". offcourse you can't put in all colours that are availible.... but you can put in the moste used. it's just a matter of thinking in sollutions instead of in problems......

Let the customer deside what is best for them to use..... it looks advanced to sell a item with..... A HUD!... but it's not working! :matte-motes-bored:

I totally agree, it's an absolute must to be able to get MODIFY items, i dont want to carry heavy scripted items and get ejected out of sims, for having a ton of scripts on you.

I would like to see this going to where the cretaors would sell it mod, atleast when scripted.

I also believe that creators worry about the opportunity for customers to be able to mess around with a texture if an item is mod.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3609 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.