Solid State Drives and SL heat

Tourmaline Falken

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I've just had to replace a SSD after only 1 year of use running SL.  It's a quad core gaming laptop with Nvidia graphics but it really heats up when using either FS or V2.  I struggle to keep the gfx under 90C even on Low and all the cores run around the same temp.  

I've discovered with SL Go with Onlive, the temp barely raises at all, so I could use that (at a premium price) but would prefer not to because it's missing the features I like with FS and the visual quality is not as good, amongst other things.

What is the general opinion out there about whether running SL on a gaming laptop kills Hard Drives because of the heat generated?  And SSDs in particular?

Edit:  As I can't reply to other answers, I'll edit here.  I do clean it at least monthly and actually when we opened it up today to replace the SSD, it wasn't dirty/dusty inside.  I keep it on a ventilated cooling stand on my lap, but rarely plug it in because it seems to make no difference to the temp, and anyway I've heard just running the fan on USB generates it's own heat.

3 answers to this question

I have not heard of heat problems specific to hard drives, and certainly not to SSDs, but 90C is HOT.  (For comparison, when I am in SL on either my desktop or this laptop, my GPU temperature can climb to around 80C but it's usually in the 70s. The CPU runs a little cooler than that. My Hitachi hard drive is at 56C right now, which is about normal. I run with High (not Ultra) graphics setting except if I am taking photos and need the Advanced Lighting.)  If your machine is running that hot, check to be sure that it is clean inside and well-ventilated.  If you don't already run with a good cooling pad under your laptop, go to Best Buy or wherever and invest $20 for one with a nice, silent fan that will increase the air flow through your machine.

Tourmaline Falken wrote:

[ ... ]

Edit:  As I can't reply to other answers, I'll edit here.  I do clean it at least monthly and actually when we opened it up today to replace the SSD, it wasn't dirty/dusty inside.  I keep it on a ventilated cooling stand on my lap, but rarely plug it in because it seems to make no difference to the temp, and anyway I've heard just running the fan on USB generates it's own heat.

Hmm... That's a little scary.  If it's clean and your fans and heat sinks are doing their job, the temperature shouldn't run that high, especially on a gaming laptop.  If you haven't checked on line, you might ask around in user groups to see if other people with that computer or its SSD are reporting similar problems.  It used to be true, for example, that some models made by Dell normally ran hot, so I knew of SL residents who had to replace theirs eventually. 

Good luck finding a solution.

BTW, that was exactly the right way to respond.  This Answers service is not set up as a normal forum.  It's designed mostly as one-way, not as a discussion platform.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.