Tempest Eyre

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5161 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So I try to take all the clothes off, but the skirt won't come off. When I go in to edit the clothes and click the skirt thing to edit it, it says I'm not wearing a skirt.. So I'm not sure of what I'm suppose to do. It's giving me a lot of problems. I'm using the female test character since before I was a floating light. I'm not sure if that's relevent or not but, yeah.

5 answers to this question

You are wearing a prim skirt. You cannot change that by editing appearance. Right click directly on the skirt and select "detach" from the menu. Alternatively, open your inventory, enter "worn" in the search tab in the inventory window (this will display all things you are currently wearing), locate the skirt, right click on it and select "Take off".

Another little trick to keep up your sleeve (although searching for "worn" in your inventory is absolutely the best), is to right click on your avatar and select Take Off from the pie wheel, it will offer the option of Clothes and then you will see a list of clothing layers and the ones you are wearing will be selectable. That can be handy too.

Welcome and Good luck,

Aurie

Time for a lesson in SL clothing and body parts.

Your avatar MUST have all of the following at all times:  A shape, a skin, hair, and eyes.  The only way to change these items is to wear a different item of the same type...you can't just take them off.

The avatar has several clothing "layers".  These are textures that are applied to the avatar mesh.  You can have:  Undershirt, Underpants, Socks, Gloves, Shirt, Jacket, Pants, and Skirt.  There is also a clothing item called Shoes.  More about shoes later.  All of the clothing layers can be removed by right clicking your avatar, and selecting Take Off/Clothes/(the item you wish to remove).  You can also right click them in your inventory and select Take Off from there, or in the Edit menu in the top menu bar.

If they are modifiable, clothing layers can be modified in the Appearance settings.

All of the clothing layers fit quite closely to the body.  If you want clothes that have more bulk and shape to them, something else must be done.

Enter "Prim attachments".  Your avatar has something like 30 points to attach things to...your head, hands, chest, pelvis, feet, and so on.  Lots of clothing has some parts that are worn in this way.

("Prim" is short for "geometric primitive"...the basic shapes from which all objects in SL are made.)

Prim parts differ a bit from clothing layers.  You put them on the same way...right click them in Inventory and select Wear.  But you cannot affect them in the Appearance menu, and to take them off, you right click the item and select Detach (not Take Off).  You can tweak their location on your body by right clicking them and selecting Edit.  Then use the colored arrows that appear to position the object.  (Holding down Ctrl will change the arrows to rotation handles.  Ctrl+Shift will change the arrows to resizing handles).

A couple of special notes about shoes and hair...

The default, or "system hair" that you can edit with Appearance, looks pretty bad.  Most people wear a hair item called a "baldy"...which is simply system hair with the sliders set to zero to give them a bald head.  Along with this bald head "hair", they also wear a wig made up of prims.  They look much more realistic.

It's the same way with shoes.  You buy some shoes, and unpack the box...and in it, you find three (or more) items.  A "shoe base"...which has an icon in your inventory like a little shoe, and a left and right shoe object (little yellow cubes in your inventory).  Just as you wear BOTH a bald head "hair" item and a prim hair "wig" object, you wear all three of these shoe items...the shoe base, and the two prim shoes.  The shoe base is needed because it distorts your foot shape to conform to the shape of the shoe.

By the way...set your foot size to 0 in the Appearance menu.  Nearly all shoes in SL are designed to fit size 0 feet.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5161 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.