Having Issues with AO to pack with Mesh Clothing

lillypadgurl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello SL Friends,

I'm having some issues with attaching a simple script to my clothing.

The idea is to have the animation overrides right with the clothing this way the individual who purchases the mesh clothing can get the best experience out of it. I'm currently designing clothing using Marvelous Designer, Photoshop, Zbrush, and Blender. I get the modeling part as that's become pretty easy but still having an issue with the AO for this.  I am running the ZHAO AO myself and can get this working just fine.

I am willing to pay some L$ for some help in this matter as I want to get my store running and I would hate to lower the standards as I've always been picky and strived for perfection.

Lets get this straight that Alphas are not going to be the entire solution to clipping with mesh clothing.

This is the script I'm currently trying and it's not working I just need it to do the basics like walk, run, sit etc.

Your help in the matter will go appreciated. :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

// :CATEGORY:AO
// :NAME:SuperSimpleAO
// :AUTHOR:Anonymous
// :KEYWORDS:
// :CREATED:2014-02-07 19:09:46
// :EDITED:2014-02-07 19:09:46
// :ID:1019
// :NUM:1583
// :REV:1
// :WORLD:Second Life
// :DESCRIPTION:
// A very simple AO using the newest Second Life commands
// :CODE:
// :Description:  Super simple AO without timers can override the Sit, Stand and Walk animations

// Override the Sit, Stand and Walk animations
// 1. place this script and your animations in a prim
// 2. edit the animation names in the script to your animation's names
// 3. attach the prim to your avatar
// From the Second Life Wiki 
// Copyright © 2009 Linden Research, Inc. Licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0

//"Crouching"		
//"CrouchWalking"		
//"Falling Down"		
//"Flying"		
//"FlyingSlow"		
//"Hovering"		
//"Hovering Down"		
//"Hovering Up"		
//"Jumping"	While still in the air during a jump.	
//"Landing"	When landing from a jump.	
//"PreJumping"	At the beginning of a jump.	
//"Running"		
//"Sitting"	Sitting on an object (and linked to it).	
//"Sitting on Ground"	Sitting, but not linked to an object.[1]	
//"Standing"		
//"Standing Up"	After falling a great distance. Sometimes referred to as Hard Landing.	
//"Striding"	When the avatar is stuck on the edge of an object or on top of another avatar.	
//"Soft Landing"	After falling a small distance.	
//"Taking Off"		
//"Turning Left"		
//"Turning Right"		
//"Walking"

string gMySit = "chop_sit";
string gMyStand = "FStand _02";
string gMyWalk = "Kort gang F v4.1";

{
    attach(key id)
    {
        if ( id ) llRequestPermissions(id , PERMISSION_OVERRIDE_ANIMATIONS);
        else if ( llGetPermissions() & PERMISSION_OVERRIDE_ANIMATIONS ) llResetAnimationOverride("ALL");
    }
    run_time_permissions(integer perms)
    {
        if ( perms & PERMISSION_OVERRIDE_ANIMATIONS )
        {
            llSetAnimationOverride( "Sitting", gMySit);
            llSetAnimationOverride( "Standing", gMyStand);
            llSetAnimationOverride( "Walking", gMyWalk);
        }
    }
}

-lillypadgurl

I know this is not going to help you with your AO problem but personally if I bought something that I needed another AO just for it to move right with my avi I wouldnt buy anything from that store again.  I already have an AO I wouldnt want another just so I can wear clothes from a store. 

If alphas are not going to stop the clipping of the mesh maybe you have to rethink how you are making your mesh.

There could also be problems with your rigging causing the clipping I just dont know.

When I started making mesh I thought I could make it how I wanted and an alpha would hide the bits that poked threw this is not the case and I soon realized that I would have to think more about how the standard avi moves when making mesh so I could get alphas to work.

But if you want to sell your clothes with an AO so they can as you say get the best experience out of it, thats up to you.

If you're making the animation, maybe consider setting the joints to a higher priority such as 5. Then just get the avatar locomotion state via lsl and play the animation,. Somewhat kinder than old AO scripts with a fast timer. Also there are some new AO commands in lsl which you should use instead.

Though I agree, unless the item should change the way I walk because it suits the style, please don't go enforcing an AO just because of the way the mesh is made. People may hate your animation or they will remove it and then the item won't look right either.

Hello,

You do have a great point an I thank you for your point of view.

Perhaps including an AO with the clothing that's optional also perhaps allowing tranferable animations so they can use their own AO and not limited to the one in which the clothing is shipped in.

I have no difficulty making a perfectly quaded weight painted dress however longer mesh dresses do have tones of issues in regards to clipping. Also normal walk animations with frilly dresses where the hand will go through the mesh or when sitting the hands go through the mesh as well. Some of these things I cannot prevent unless I have control over the animation in which is playing. Including it as optional might be the better method and perhaps thinking from game design perspective it would be great but however this is SL and people need to have some level of control and I think you've made that clear. In regards to the code I will package the product differently now upon receiving your opinion which makes sense to me now. I still would like to package stuff with an optional AO do any of you know where to obtain a free AO which can be transferable that works?

-lillypad

I will never buy clothes with a built in AO - just saying.

Your script is NO AO.

You replace a few of the standard animations with your animations. Theat will work for everyone that does NOT use an AO.
An AO will override your animations and so they are useless. You can try to use the highest priority but so will do many AO's.

I don't see a solution since thats only possible if the users adapt their AO to your animations setup.

Which is why I said priority 5 but to be honest, an ever escalating priority war isn't really a good solution and only serves to defeat other wrongly set priority 4 AO animations.

If my hands go through the mesh, it's for me to find animations that suit better. I certainly wouldn't expect an individual item of clothing to enforce that for me.

The only sort of animation that I might feel appropriate would be something like a short step walk in a tight kimono perhaps, something like that but I'd be just as happy being provided with the animation, and let to decide whether to use it in my AO or not.

I doubt that any of the free AOs are using the new LSL AO command anyway.

I agree with the others, an AO built into the dress would make me pass it by.  Even an optional AO is would not be a positive thing to me as any free AO you might use is not going to match the sophistication and abilities of the one i use now. 

I'd be more happy if you just put the animations only into the package with the dress and let me decide if i want to use them by putting them in the AO I already use. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.