Hey There :D OMG! The World has Changed!

Veronica Kanya

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I swear when you haven't been on Second Life for a hot min. It feels like everything has totally changed. Like everything almost feels like a totally new game. I've been coming back slowly. Like shopping every now and then and reading the blogs. Still haven't really fully came back, and now that I've made that decision to come back it's like WHOAAAAAAAA. lol. A whole new world *Flies on carpet* :D

Agreed. I've been gone from In World participation since about 2010 and everything is different. Of course I haven't seen much of anything yet, but things appear smoother and now I have a whole world of mesh to explore. However, it is annoying that some things have stayed the same. I was quickly reminded of the fact that there is not much to talk about unless you allow yourself to be shoehorned into using voice, which I will refuse to do all over again. And now it's gone one better (or worse) and progressed to Skype and Google Voice. What is the point? Why don't we just do that and forget SL, because it's not a virtual world when I'm staring at everyone's real face all night.

Oh, and we still cannot log in without having to immediately be accountable to all my friends who are going to feel butthurt because I appear to all the world to have something I was planning to do upon logging in that had nothing to do with being TP'd to their location to do what they think I should be doing. Will there ever be a way to reserve the right to decide whether or not to be detectable online? And no. Logging in as an ALT is not a sufficient alternative.

I was away from SL too, first time joined in 2008 and played since 2010, then i taken a short break, been away again, and now i am again around this awesome lands with a new avatar, i am two days old, like a newbie :)) . 

But i don't think the world has changed so much, of course are some improvements, like mesh etc. Oh and other thing, my friend list is empty, this is a change :)). 

Yeah I was taping a video yesterday so I had all the graphics turnt up. Luckily the subject was about people not rezzing and everything looked amazing. Yet when I closed out my screen took forever to close, and then it went pink. I'm sure it's more my graphics card than anything. I don't even know what is the perferred viewer anymore. I still use firestorm. Is there anything else?

Hehehe I think with me it's finding people and places to go. I found a cute little blues place last night where people were dancing and having a good time. It reminded me of my first days of running into a wall and dancing at random clubs. I was afraid places like that didn't exist anymore. It's good to know that they do :D

Veronica Kanya wrote:

Yeah I was taping a video yesterday so I had all the graphics turnt up. Luckily the subject was about people not rezzing and everything looked amazing. Yet when I closed out my screen took forever to close, and then it went pink. I'm sure it's more my graphics card than anything. I don't even know what is the perferred viewer anymore. I still use firestorm. Is there anything else?

I'm still not sure. I remember going through tons of viewers back in the day, settling finally on Singularity because of its interface and response and because it handled tattoo layers so well. But it seems like their development has not really progressed much since version 1 or maybe 2. Some features just never turned up it seemed (I think ultimately it came down to yes it handled tattoo layers but it never got to multiple tattoo layers per attachment point, or something like that).

So trying it now in 64-bit, it doesn't seem to handle mesh quite right, although that could have been because I wasn't doing something right in configuring my avie. My head texture wasn't showing up, so I went to Firestorm, which did the same thing, until I learned the avie. Now it's perfect, so maybe I'll do Singularity again just for a comparison and stick with it if it works.

FIrestorm is very good but there are more controls possible than I have need for control. I prefer the older interfaces.

Veronica Kanya wrote:

Hehehe I think with me it's finding people and places to go. I found a cute little blues place last night where people were dancing and having a good time. It reminded me of my first days of running into a wall and dancing at random clubs. I was afraid places like that didn't exist anymore. It's good to know that they do
:D

Haha I remember that too. Used to do that all the time in 2007 when I first got in world. I still miss Festival Island. Total rave atmosphere and SL seemed like a magical fairyland back then. I worked at like 6 different clubs as a dancer including my original favorite GOL3. Had a crew of like 8 of us girls who were just total brats and ran together constantly, got hired as a group, tore it up. Sigh. Miss those days.

The paranoia of SL both inside and outside took that away from us, both from the seemingly right wing extremist voice Nazis and gender witch hunters and from the jackbooted overbearing government regulators taking the...the...what was the name of those balls that used to hang over the dance floors throwing out Lindens? The furor over the so called "gambling" you know. Just killed everything. We ended up spending more time defending the ludicrous and the obvious than anything else and the innocence went away. I walked away from an $1100 USD estate and park that I had created with my own hands and funded and a burgeoning landscaping career disillusioned.

But I just haven't been able to unfeel that disillusionment and un-know how people had become. Looks like I'm not the only one, huh?  :matte-motes-bashful-cute:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You're talking about exploders.

As for the gambling, there were several reasons for it. First, the US governement saw the amount of money being cashed out of SL and they wanted LL to start issuing the I9's required for gambling earnings. LL didn't and doesn't have the resources for that. It's a social media place, not offshore gambling. The other problem was that too many of the players that owned the gambling establishments started not paying out. Complaints came in, especially since the money was sometimes substantial. Again, LL didn't want to get into that arena so it was just easier to end gambling.

You have the Saints and SInners type that are considered skill games because how well you depends on your choices.

Games that used to be inworld, like poker, that paid off big should be gone, though I'm sure there are still some places that have them that LL just doesn't know about.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3628 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.