hughesnet or satellite internet

Electro Lunasea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

Satellite may give you a strong connection, but expect a major ping time because the signal has to travel to orbit and back.  That can mean serious lag, rubber-banding, and possibly unexpected crashing.  Experience may vary from user to user, but I'd select a standard cable or DSL connection instead if I had a choice.

• Like 1

Hi Electro,

I'm in complete agreement with Rolig. I just pinged SL and get a round trip in 64ms. That's via a typical terrestrial internet link. By going through a satellite, a ping must make two complete trips to the satellite and back, one for the outbound packet and another for the reply. Geosynchronous satellites are 22,236 miles up. At the speed of light, a round trip takes 240ms. Two of those is nearly half a second. That's in addition to the ping delay on the ground, which might be more than my 64ms, depending on where the Huges data center is.

I'm sure you've been annoyed by the real time delays in TV news conversations conducted via satellite. SL often shows its annoyance by simply refusing to work.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.