Help a poor man to chose new-old PC

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

HI :)

I know is lot of treads in forum with same question, but please help me :/

Now im stuck with:

Procesor:  E2160 1.8 ghz  overclocked to 2.1 ghz

Mobo:  P5VD2-X  

RAM: 2 GB ddr2  (2 x 1 GB 800mhz)

Graphic card:  geforce EN210  512 ddr3  64bit

160 gb HDD  SATA

win7 pro

and im suprised in crowdy areas i have 5-7 fps on semi high settings without shaders and lights

in normal sims have 10-15

in empty sims i have in high sometimes realy good fps  20+

I found cheap, old 775 socket used PC, but quite powerfull (when compare to now)

PROCESSOR :  Q9550

MOBO: Asus p5q deluxe

RAM:  4 GB DDR2 (plus 2gb from old mine pc)

HDD: 250 GB  

SSD: 64 GB

GRAPHICS: ?? need to buy one decent....loking for 256 bit + high end.. 

friend sell 2x crossfire  ATI RADEON 4870 x2 gpu (2 x graphic card with dual gpu)

POWER: 650w 80+ gold edition modular

bigtower case cooler master great airflow

is this good rig for high frame rate in SL?  

i have also decent 4 Mbits internet conection, will upgarade this month to 8 Mbits

Please i need sugestions for decent high end graphic card what will work on this rig...

and yea....my budget is small...i buy used parts :(  

300e - 350e for  whole rig

in central europe, parts are expencive :(

A much better place to ask than here is going to be pcpartpicker.com, I feel like I am doing plugs for that website, but the people there really helped out a lot when I made my build.

I am not familiar with the AMD processors or cards... So I am unable to really helpout much

If the two cards in crossfire are comparative to a 7xx gtx then you'll be able to run ultra at 15+frames (Depending on which 7xx card, but any will run 15+frames)

Processors you can usually skimp out on, since even SL doesn't eat much processing speed. ETA: i5s work great for gaming, but you may not need the igpu that comes with it. Can grab something without the included igpu for cheap. Im not sure how AMD handles that :P

Change your power to semi modular, NO need for fully and can save money by being semi-modular.

I have the seasonic 550W Gold semi-modular..and the only thing you can't detach is the mobo power connectors (Which you need all of) Which if you're getting two graphics definitely stick with the 650, but semi modular will always be cheaper. 550W is good if you switch up to one card.

Why are you spending so much on your case? Switch it to a mid tower, most of Fractal Design's mid towers will run two Graphics cards without any problem. Though they usually come with two fans and space for 3+ more, I'd add in some fans if you're OCing the cards/processor.

Hope that helped, gotta run now :)

From reading posts on these forums,

ATI cards seem to have more trouble and bugs running sl than nvidia cards.

The SSD will be great for your cache if you keep it on that drive, will load sims that you visit often a lot quicker.

From personal experience,

nvidia gtx 650 gets usable fps in most sims with shaders, lights and advanced lighting model.

friend sell 2x crossfire  ATI RADEON 4870 x2 gpu (2 x graphic card with dual gpu)

I've read that Second Life makes no use of Crossfire (nor SLI). If that's true, then you'd only get about the same SL2 performance as with just one of those two cards, but with twice the heat, fan noise, and electricity use.

Buy an Nvidia 640 GPU card (not anything AMD as Nvidia generally supports Open GL better).  It is cheap and will give you a good framerate.

Note that this was posted using an Atom 1.6GHz single core machine using an old Nvidia Ion LE chip that runs SL OKish.

• 2 weeks later...

who is telling that ati have problem with SL? All people says the same. I just changed my old PC with a nvidia geforce 9600 for a new one with a ATI RADEON HD 7790 and I must said SL looks pretty we:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:ll!!! No troubles at all. I use second life viewer. I m going to upload some videos to youtube to show the performance. Well the video card is not a top card but is a medium. With high settings antialising 2x, ansiotropic filter, no shadows, etc I get 35 fps. :)

• 4 months later...

i just upgarade on cheap but powerfull configuration

Q9300  O.C. on 3.0 ghz

DFI Lanparty X38 T2RB motherboard

5 gb ddr2

SSD 40gb for OS, 160 gb and 250gb HDD for storage, and one more 60 gb SSD for SL chache only (390read/380write speed because of SATA2)

Nvidia GT 9600 will be swaped with 560 ti 1gb ddr5 as soon i buy new power supply.

SL looking beautiful, but i play on plazma screen witch support only 1024x756 resolution, so still is more pressure on CPU than GPU...i can play in ultra, SL looks beautiful and depends on sim and traffic i can have 4-10 FPS on full ultra with 144m draw distance

if GTX 560 ti 1gb ddr5 will have double, and me expect even more.....mission acomplished

p.s. price of whole setup is funny money.....you can get strong gear by carefuly picking used parts, and make respectable gaming maschine for SL

all expences are under 400$....for SL in ultra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3502 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.