Viewer Freezes after 5-10 minutes

glenn Riddler

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5207 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a HP 6910p  Intel duo processor

Intel's PM965 Graphics,

2gb RAM

Running XP Home (Service Pack 3)

I recently install the latest version of SL .Sl loads fine and seems to be working fine but after about 5 -10 minutes  it starts to get slower and slower to a point where I can't move, Can't type and can't pull down any of the drop down menus.

I have downloaded from HP all the latest drivers, but it had no impact. Has anyone seen this before and knows what I need to do to fix? Or has any ideas what I can try?

Thank you.

11 answers to this question

Hi Irene,  Checked out that link,  and basically what they say there is that SL won't work very well  because of the graphics card, but what is strange is that for the first 5 - 10 minutes I think its quite good, it only gets bad over time.

Thank you for responding..

A laptop with Intel integrated graphics card that works fine for 5-10 minutes and then freezes/crash. To me, it looks like your graphics card is getting too hot. Most Intel integrated graphics won't even cover the minimum requirements to run SL and yours must be just able to. You could start by making sure the air intake holes under the laptop are clean and the exhaust in the back. Place the laptop on a hard flat surface when you're in SL so that you don't accidentally block the air intakes. Finally, you could try buying one of those laptop bases with fans that you place underneath the laptop, this little devices go a long way to lenghten your laptop's lifetime.

Thanks Calveen, will check it out,

Also found an interesting article here,

http://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2007/11/29/there-is-a-hack-for-second-life-and-the-intel-965-chipset/

Which talks a bit to this issue as well, most of the freezing problems are talked about a the bottom of this long list.

So if you have this problem on a laptop don't give up because some folks have got it to work. I will try some of the suggestions and report back.

Glenn

Glenn,

I have some professional experience with the 6910 laptop from HP (having worked in the IT department of a company that used high-end graphics like Solidworks), it did tend to get to hot for the graphics chip to be functioning as it should, so the advice for better cooling seems to be a viable and cheep thing to try.

Hope it will work somehow

Hence we used the 8710w for those people who needed to work with high-end graphics...

Message was edited by: Linda SpargelAdded a final sentence

Glenn what you might want to try is removing any scripted attachments i've been experiencing a similar problem i saw it as an odd type of lag because my sl experience up till a couple of weeks sl worked perfectly i tried everything that was suggested to me every time i thought i'd found out what the problem was that turned out not to be the problem finally i decided to remove my favorite scripted attachment plus accompanying hud which i believe may be the cause of other un-related usage issues and i noticed a big improvement in the SL service not constantly freezing all the time now and have a large degree of normality back

Edit: i did try creating a jira for my issue http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/MISC-3813 that jira site is so difficult to use i don't think i did it right but i was pointed in the direction of this pjira http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-3895 which seems more appropriate

Well,  not sure exactly which option worked for sure, but I'm now able to use the portable to stay online for more than 20 mins,  I tried the option of downloading the software from  INTEL as per the link, and then set all my 3D setting to ON in the ATI  graphics setup in the bottom system tray. I also propped up the machine to allow more air circulation underneath. Graphics not great, but can move and talk.  Also set the statistics option on and watched the FPS as I was using it,  It never got to Green, but hovered between  Yellow and Red, but it worked!

Will try some more tuning, to see if I can improve, but think the limitations of the grapics are what they are. Did try to take the settings off of low to medium, but lag became unbearable.

So a tiny step forward.

Thank you all for your responses.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5207 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.