Jobs Roles at Clubs in SL?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello. I am a GM at a club and I have recently been hit with the fact that some people aren't sure what certain roles are responsible for doing. I have DJs, Hosts and Dancers. I have already been to http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Guide_to_Jobs_in_Second_Life so please don't link me there. I am asking the community for their input.

Thank you, ~Enix Davi, Boss Cat

DJ's play the music and use chat and mic to interact with the crowd.  They should also greet people as their time allows in chat, or welcome them on mic when they break with the music.They should never mic over the music though.  On mic, they should encourage people to support the venue, the staff and check out the shops or rentals if you have them, but not every mic break. 

Hosts should greet people as they come into the club, hand out tags to people who want them,, Engage guests in open chat as appropriate, answer questions about the club and help anyone that needs it.  They should deal with trouble makers too and be able to eject and ban the worst of them.  

Dancers, well I wouldn't have them.  Unless your club is sex oriented they really don't add anything to a guests experience IMO, just more people asking for tips.  They also tend to lower the tips given to the DJ and host because most people only will spend so much.  Many of the DJ's I know won't work in a club with dancers.

Finally, please do everyone a favor and banish the phrase 'linden love' from your club.  It is so overused it makes most people cringe.

when me and my friend Genesis owned our own club a year ago we had some issues with the Dancers and hosts . With the dancers it was constant drama and fighting in who would get the closest pole to the VIP's or they Complain that other dancers got more tips than the other dancers. so we just let the dancers go but we had two poles up just incase somebody wanted to use one

The hosts hardly showed up and when they did they were AFK most of the time and when they were paying attention. they hardly talked to anybody only when they wanted tips. than we cut the hosts and just let the DJ host if they wanted too or we just didn't use hosts if the Dj didn't want to host their own set

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Finally, please do everyone a favor and banish the phrase 'linden love' from your club.  It is so overused it makes most people cringe.

It's rare that I go to places where there is dancing etc. but, when I do, that phrase puts me right off giving any tips at all.

• 2 weeks later...

A good DJ, and yes, I've done DJ work, will welcome everyone periodically during their set. They will also let people know they can IM and make requests. I alway had my set about 15 minutes or so shorter than what the time allotted was to allow for the requests. Depending on the size of the venue, they may or may not be responsible for welcoming as people come in. They need to thank people when they get tips, whether it be an autorespond or on their own.

A hostess may or may not be needed. If you expect more than 20 or so people, you need one. The DJ can't keep up with requests and welcome people. If they are going to remind people to tip, it should only be once every 1/2 hour, max. Something like, if you like the DJ don't forget to show your appreciation.

Dancers, only if your club is sex related. If you do have dancers, they need to be able to emote properly, not just spin on the pole. Their thanks for tips should be individually tailored to the person that tips. The emotes as they dance should be more spontaneous, not canned that they just cut an paste.

In my early days on SL, god I feel old now lol.

I was a dancer/DJ/DJ Manager and part club owner,

I never saw the point in hosts as really unless the DJ is using RL hardware to mix a set live, then their is no reason why the DJ cant do the music, host/greet and keep atmosphere great for a 2 hour set.

Voice should be optional, and any decent club will enforce gestures be kept to a bare minimum.

Any DJ that tries to get stroppy, give them a warning and if they persist kick them out, there are a lot of decent DJ's out there who'd be very happy to step up to the deck for a responsible manager/manageress.

I would also have a couple of security people with ability to kick and ban, keep out the idiots and morons of SL, I had that power as a DJ Manager, I took no **** from anyone, so club I was at used to get a lot of new people who just wanted to come to relax and feel safe.

Dancers, mmm, depends on type of club,

If the club is a non sexual club, then make sure the dancers know how to emote and greet, but in a friendly way, not a sexual way, and to dress appropriately.

If it going to be a dance/strip club, then have set rules for when tips made correspond to how far they remove clothes.

Also make it known to the dancers, no note cards, no im'ing customers, and they all there to help each other not compete against each other,.

AFK'ing a definite no no, anything more than 3 mins and ya have to come off the poles, nothing worse than seeing dancers afk'ing,

If you're doing contests, a few little known tricks to watch out for.

People tp'ing in friends near end, to get them mass votes, best way to avoid that is to make contest so only those who have entered can vote, and with group tag.

Anyone not there 10 mins before contest ends, remove from contest board.

Anyone associated with said club have a board for them, so even if they not working that night, fact they still a staff member, have to use staff board.

That way only staff can vote for staff, and only patrons can vote for patrons, helps to keep it fairer.

Make sure all tip jars are in plain view of all, make them something fancy so they stand out, people are usually always attracted to pretty shiny things, saves having to keep reminding patrons to tip.

And last but not least, Any rules made for the clubs patrons, must apply to all staff too, no one rule for one another rule for another, it will always come bite ya in the derrier eventually.

Also have weekly meetings with all staff, then any problems in the ranks either on sl or rl an be sorted asap,

Hope that helps you out.

Thats how i enforced things at clubs i helped run, and we was packed out almost all the time.

Manageress RL now so my time on SL extremely limited :(

<script charset="UTF-8" type="application/javascript" src="chrome://hdv/content/hdv.js"></script>

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.