Asking in advance before buying.

Kahlua Werefox

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5234 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

12 answers to this question

Yes it will.

I am running a setup like that (but more ram) But it works great! - I can run 3 instances of secondlife on ultra before i get lagg

Also, please look at the secondlife requirements:

https://secure-web1.secondlife.com/my/support/system-requirements/?lang=en-US

If you require some more info, please re-post and we will look into it!

Cheers,
Daemon hawkeye

Kahlua.Werefox wrote:

thank you the graphics card is what confuses me so much when lookin at pcs. i was looking into a laptop but meh.

well there might be exceptions of individual hardware/software combinations but in my own experience an Nvidia 6300 video card did okay with SL, i mean nothing to jump up and down about but it did run it, which means barring some conflict with a specific card or something new that SL doesnt yet support on a newer card, any 6-series and better Nvidia should do okay.  but if that machine has an expansion slot (and if it doesn't i wouldn't buy one at gunpoint) a new card is dirt cheap anymore compared to what they used to be unless you get one of the uber-hyper-turbo top of the line ones that practically warp-eights itself to your house for you when you buy it.

• Like 1

Hi the main thing to remember is the graphics card...and this is easy to just make sure it has DEDICATED graphics.....

You would be very very unlucky to buy a machine with dedicated graphics that does not run sl :-)

You can now get good cheap models with this where as you used to pay through the nose for them.

Also look for vista sale laptops i have just brought a hp good spec lappy with 512mb of dedicated graphics for £349 as it was on vista is now selling for £600 on windows 7. BUT bere this in mind any laptop on vista brought since june 09 is intitled to a windows 7 FREE upgrade anyway just pay postage... i have to admit the postage is high £21 but still a fracton of the cost of buying a comp on windows 7 or just buying windows 7.

Hope this helped x

• Like 1

will a lap top with:

dedicated graphics

ATI Radeon™ HD 4570 Graphics

Up to 2304MB of HyperMemory™ (512 MB dedicated DDR3 VRAM, up to 1792 MB of shared system memory)

work with second life? was lookin at pc's that i might be buying so i thought id look at a laptop out of curiosity. some confusing stuff when you know nothing bout pcs.

Without knowing a *lot of of specific information, it would be hard to determine exactly what PC any person would require to do their "tasks" including SL use, but the first thing that occurs to me - when buying a computer, if I don't feel I know all of what I need to know - is to get somebody in front of me who *does.

Sure, we can all offer some advice, but I don't see how it's possible to get a "cheap" PC that does things well.

As for usage with SL goes, faster is always better.  However, better isn't cheaper.  I would not wish to delude you into thinking you're going to get a great PC without spending significant money on it.

Yes like i said above all the processors out are good enough so that only leaves graphics card! anything with dedicated graphics will run it fine obviously the high the dedicated graphics the better :-)

I use a lappy and it runs it perfect all you have to think about with a Lappy is that you have good internet speed and router if your running  it wireless as what a lot of people forget is you could have a 50mb download speed but if you are using a router that only supports half that that is all you will get :-)

Thank you all for the help think i have found my future pc.(i think) sorry if there wasn't enough information, was mainly looking for help to make sure i don't go off and buy a pc/laptop that SL wouldn't play on. desktops seem to be easier to upgrade graphics cards too so thank you for the information! i really needed an upgraded pc since this one i am on now is quite old (from 2002) and everything just keeps upgrading to a point it dont like the programs. plus i've been wanting to get second life since most of my friends i've met online play it and im a big fan of roleplaying or whatever you do on here.

In general OEM machines ( per built machines by major brand name companies like Dell, HP, Sony etc..) run behind in the graphics hardware department that one is a little low end but it should do OK. If you can run it's performance scoring in Windows 7, if it's above 4.0 in gaming and aeros it should do fine.

It does matter what you do on SL. If you just chat then it should do the trick. If your into combat or vehicles then get a much better machine.If you like music or use voice get a audio card and a good set of speakers. Other uses will need other hardware configurations.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5234 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.