Very beginner question regarding where new avatars are first inserted into the world...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

Sorry to make such a beginners question (and sorry if the tech forum isn't the best place for it), but I have been looking through SL Wikis and not quite getting the answer. My question is simply this:

When I first created my avatar I was dropped onto a beach. I did not select this location, it appears it was pre-selected, or it just happened (SL is running on my work computer where it has been installed by someone else). I assumed this meant that every new avatar was dropped into the same place on the beach. Is this correct, or are new avatars scattered around the world?

The reason why I ask is that I would like to get a whole group of people on their own computers (not mine) to sign up at the same time, and I am hoping we will all be dropped into the same spot, so that we are together within the game in order to create a performance. Will this happen automatically, or do we have to type in a location to find each other? If so, where is this typed in - preferences?

Similarly - If it is so that new avatars are dropped into different places, is there somewhere that gives me the coordinates of where I am so that others can type in those same coordinates and find me? I've seen pieces of code for global positioning, but as I am a beginner I'm not sure how to use it.

Thanks and sorry again!!

Cheers

P

Welcome to Second Life and the Forums, Paratext.

You would do well to look at this link from the official Second Life Knowledge Base. It covers all the basics. http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Second-Life-Quickstart/ta-p/1087919

Whenever a new avatar is created, the first location they are teleported to seems to vary from avatar to avatar, so you and your group would need to meet up in world.  However, you do need to get to know the basics of how Second Life works - not to run before you can walk, as they say. Second Life is quite a large world.

You can make a landmark of where you are and send it to your friends.

You can TELEPORT your friends (first you have to know their names) and have them meet you.

You can copy the location from the map "SLURL" and paste it into an IM so your friends know where you are.

AND as the previous note stated, you should spend a little time getting to know the basics before inviting everyone to join you LOL. Someone needs to lead :D.

Good luck.

I vaguly remember there was blog post by Linden Labs some years ago about how to do this.

You just need to give your friends a slur address to your landing spot.

like this one

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Pooley/202/18/38

(not like this one)

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Pooley/202/18/38

Then tell your friend to click the big orange button in the upper right corner and start a membership.

The orange button that says 

"Don't have a second life? Membership is free. Sign Up"

The big orange button will signal the secondlife servers to land your friend right where you chose.

So they can get training from you, in a peacefull place.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.